BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer wants $200 for a new battery, can I get the original BMW Gel battery online for cheaper? We are located in Texas so it will have to be from a north American vendor. I like to stick with genuine OEM BMW parts but if its better to go aftermarket for longer life etc, let me know. I'd rather spend more for a genuine BMW product but $200 is a little too much for a motorcycle battery!?

·
IBR# 366
16,582 Posts
Simple. You want an Odyssey PC680 battery. It's AGM (absorbed glass mat), but far superior to the factory BMW battery, or any other gel battery for that matter.

Most good-sized battery stores will carry this, or at least can order it in a day or two. Or you could search online and probably get a better price (although watch shipping rates). I was able to find it at a local battery store for the same as the online price, but no shipping.

Try a search on this forum for PC680 or PC680MJ (the metal jacketed version, with a higher heat rating). You'll get lots of good info.

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
Try Interstate Batteries.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
meese said:
Simple. You want an Odyssey PC680 battery. It's AGM (absorbed glass mat), but far superior to the factory BMW battery, or any other gel battery for that matter.

Most good-sized battery stores will carry this, or at least can order it in a day or two. Or you could search online and probably get a better price (although watch shipping rates). I was able to find it at a local battery store for the same as the online price, but no shipping.

Try a search on this forum for PC680 or PC680MJ (the metal jacketed version, with a higher heat rating). You'll get lots of good info.
+1 to everything Ken said.

I have a PC680MJ installed in my K1200GT. It is so much better than the original BMW gel battery.

Does anyone want a working 2 1/2 year old BMW OEM battery for a K1200GT? It is free to whomever will come pick it up.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I've neard that the Oddessy battery is the way to go.............
Will be getting one in the spring for my GS.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I would first identify the BMW replacment number.Then if you are going to change brands use their cross reference chart.

·
Registered
11 Posts
MEESE is absolutely correct. You do not want a gel-type battery. Even my dealer tells me they aren't worth a d___. I had to replace the factory-gel on my KLT within 12 mos. I replaced it with an Odyssey and it's been doing great for three years.

Safe riding!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Absolutely, the way to go is the Odyssey. I put one 3 years ago, and it is still 100% on a load tester. it almost never needs to bew put on my charger, even after a month of no use.

·
IBR# 366
16,582 Posts
Yes, the Panasonic batteries are a bit cheaper, but they're designed for UPS-style backup systems, where they stay fully charged forever and then are suddenly called on to provide emergency power for an extended period of time, resulting in a slow, steady discharge.

They will work as a bike battery and they happen to be a similar size as the standard BMW battery, but it's not their primary purpose.

For a few $$ difference I'd still go with the Odyssey, which was designed for many charge/discharge cycles such as seen on a vehicle, and has also been designed to deliver massive cold cranking amps (such as needed when starting a high-performance motor like the new Slant/4 engines).

In fact, that's what I did do, and I was even able to find the PC680MJ in stock at a local battery dealer for $110, which is cheaper even than I could find it online. Saving $40 just didn't seem worth the chance of getting stranded somewhere with a failed battery. :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
PC680MJ.....me too.

BMW dealer of course says oh no you shouldn't use those. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Profit loss ya know. :bmw:

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,534 Posts
You do realize you just responded to an 11 year old post.

·
IBR# 366
16,582 Posts
Looks like a spammer to me...

Reactions: Patric

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
As I'm most likely gonna need a battery in the near future, I googled Odyssey PC680 battery and found you can buy either one at AutoZone for under $130. Same price as the lowest I found on-line with free shipping and no tax. Have to order in store, butts, I likes to have someplace to take things back, so don't mind the tax.

Just out of curiosity (2), the metal box one was just $1 more, why would one NOT buy the metal one?

·
IBR# 366
16,582 Posts
Just out of curiosity (2), the metal box one was just $1 more, why would one NOT buy the metal one?
The last time I bought a PC680, the metal jacket version was more than just $1 difference.

Plus it's slightly thicker and slightly heavier.

I've run both versions without seeing any noticeable difference.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts