BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to flush my complete brake system including my ABS unit on my 2000 LT (non integrated/servo brakes).

I have only seen procedures for doing this on the 2002 and newer Integrated/Servo brake bikes.

Anyone know if the procedure is archived for the earlier bikes??

Brian in Austin

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DanMartin said:
go to Hall of Wisdom
Maintenance
Brake system

2nd article listed
I did see that article but it talks about using Speed Bleeders which I do not have. Are they necessary?

Brian

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DanMartin said:
go to Hall of Wisdom
Maintenance
Brake system

2nd article listed
I went and looked again and that post talks about using speed bleeders to flush the wheel circuits and then forcing brake fluid backwards through the "Control Circuit" up into the reservoir.....(David sprague)

Could the "Control circuit" be the same thing as the ABS unit?? If it is,...is there no way to flush it normally (top down). If there is no way to do this could someone give some more specifics on what is involved in flushing the ABS unit specifically....David mentions using some kind of a syringe and "forcing" brake fluid backwards through the system.

Brian

Brian

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
I used to have a '99. I believe the brake system bleeds like any normal bike.
Two reservoirs,3 bleed points. Speedbleeders not needed,just nice to have.

dan

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DanMartin said:
I used to have a '99. I believe the brake system bleeds like any normal bike.
Two reservoirs,3 bleed points. Speedbleeders not needed,just nice to have.

dan
Trying to get some step by step on bleeding the ABS UNIT

Brian

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,946 Posts
It is much easier than the later ABS system. First perform a flush from reservoir to caliper in a conventional manner. Fill the reservoir (front or rear) and keep it full. Operate the lever or pedal and open the bleed nipple on the caliper. Repeat until fresh fluid appears and no bubbles are seen.

Then do the same for the 2 nipples on the ABS unit, HR for the rear and HF for the front. These should be done after the calipers have been cleared.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts