BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,946 Posts
Photo didn't make it Tim. There is both a conventional seal and an o-ring that keep the engine oil away from the clutch.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,946 Posts
Ok, Remove the nut followed by the o-ring and slide the clutch housing off (the o-ring is on that shaft under the nut) and the seal is behind the housing pressed on to the case.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
hoodoodrum said:
From this picture that D. Shealey posted, where does the main seal and O-ring attach.
Thanks
Tim get your facts straight. I posted that picture.
The seal and oring can be found after you remove the nut, bellhousing in the picture.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
murray said:
Tim get your facts straight. I posted that picture.
---------------------
Now just why was that so important? You were the third or fourth person over the years to post a picture of that area, so it certainly was not new news.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Tim no problem, Let me know if I can help.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
dshealey said:
Now just why was that so important? You were the third or fourth person over the years to post a picture of that area, so it certainly was not new news.
Who's counting ? Could be New News to someone.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Holy crap!! If the main seals are that deep, why would BMW not make them out of material that would last alot longer?

I do have a friend with a 1990 BMW Sedan that appears to have the same parts failure. His car leaks oil from the exact same area. What a PITA!!

·
Registered
173 Posts
hoodoodrum said:
Holy crap!! If the main seals are that deep, why would BMW not make them out of material that would last alot longer?

I do have a friend with a 1990 BMW Sedan that appears to have the same parts failure. His car leaks oil from the exact same area. What a PITA!!
I agree. The LT is a fine machine and you would be hard pressed to ride anything nicer out there, BUT the more I dig into this thing mechanically..........one just has to wonder. One thing is for certain, if you are not handy with a wrench, you WILL go broke owning one if you are out of warrantee.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts