BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The BMW dealer told me it was located under the speaker and instrument cover, "Wrong!" After removing "all" the fairings, and the 1000 screws that hold it on, I did'nt find anything!!!!!!!! I don't really know what it looks like but I'm betting it's the Delphi black box that's attached to the BMW box with BMW PN E9781.L. The two boxes are on the left side under the fairing. Here's a couple of pics and if someone could help me out identifying it I'd appreciate it! Thanks

LEFT SIDE VIEW

TOP VIEW

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
C-A-D said:
Under the rear trunk if you mean the factory installed alarm system.
Thanks for the quick response. Wow! Now I am totally lost. Mine is an older 2002 LT of which I've only had for about a month now. I haven't been able to ride it for two weeks because I lost the security fob.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Take the two bolts off that hold the rear seat on..first tip the drivers seat forward.
Unhook the trunk wires...two sets.
Open the trunk and take the bolt out on the left that holds the black strap.
Lift the liner out.
Take out the 4 bolts that hold the trunk down
Lift the trunk off..make sure wires are free.
Take out 4 more bolts that hold the black rubber cover and lift off..you are there now.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Bones1955 said:
Take the two bolts off that hold the rear seat on..first tip the drivers seat forward.
Unhook the trunk wires...two sets.
Open the trunk and take the bolt out on the left that holds the black strap.
Lift the liner out.
Take out the 4 bolts that hold the trunk down
Lift the trunk off..make sure wires are free.
Take out 4 more bolts that hold the black rubber cover and lift off..you are there now.
Insert step 4: use long thin screwdriver to push release latches to the back of the trunk while lifting the liner (insert to the rear of the latches) If you need pics I will do so when I get home tonight.

Robert

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's a pic of under the trunk but I don't see anything that's related to the anti-theft system. (???????????)

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Last pic, below and right side of canister, has multiple labels and directly imprinted number on it.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
deputy5211 said:
Last pic, below and right side of canister, has multiple labels and directly imprinted number on it.

Thanks! Sooooooooooo, that's where I have to do the jumpering to disable everything? Also possibly finding my five digit code inside the unit? Man did the dealer ever send me on a wild goose chase!!!! Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
RonHolly said:
Thanks! Sooooooooooo, that's where I have to do the jumpering to disable everything? Also possibly finding my five digit code inside the unit? Man did the dealer ever send me on a wild goose chase!!!! Thanks

14111, if I were to guess... ;)

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
deputy5211 said:
14111, if I were to guess... ;)
Thanks again! Now "who" can give me the easy scoop on how and where to jumper the unit to disable the darn thing?

I WANNA RIDE. I'VE ONLY PUT 200 MILES ON HER SO FAR BEFORE I LOST THE SECURITY FOB!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Try looking at John Z's instructions in post #2 of this recent thread.

If you need a new fob, I believe that I have one or two brand new ones sitting in my LT drawer for just such an emergency. PM me and we can sort out the details.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Ron, do the "canisterectomy" while you are there.
Robert

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
C-A-D said:
Under the rear trunk if you mean the factory installed alarm system.
Success! I jumpered, on the 12 Pin connector, pins 6 &10 together as well as pins 3 & 11 together. Starts up just fine but the flashing security lamp still blink on the dash. Thanks to all who helped with you suggestions and support. Now I'll have to spend another day putting all the fairings back on.

THIS WAS DEFINETLY A LEARNING EXPERIENCE FOR ME.!

A special thanks to "JZEILER" for his info file on how to "Git-R-Done." Thanks

·
Registered
228 Posts
Scouter-50 said:
Insert step 4: use long thin screwdriver to push release latches to the back of the trunk while lifting the liner (insert to the rear of the latches) If you need pics I will do so when I get home tonight.

Robert
I have had mine out 4 or 5 times and never had too do that..dunno.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Bones1955 said:
I have had mine out 4 or 5 times and never had too do that..dunno.
Me too. Had to do it every time. I dunno either.

Robert

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,534 Posts
RonHolly said:
That paper label has the feed code that the dealer sends to BMW NA and they will respond with the actual disarm/programming code.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
There "were" several thin plastic tabs inside the case of my 02 that could be easily broken. Once that is done, the plastic liner slips out very easily. I think mine broke the first time it was removed.

Gravity kept it in place.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
DanDiver said:
There "were" several thin plastic tabs inside the case of my 02 that could be easily broken. Once that is done, the plastic liner slips out very easily. I think mine broke the first time it was removed.

Gravity kept it in place.
I removed my trunk last week and my tabs were still intact. Just used a screwdriver and pushed them to the rear of the bike.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just finished putting everything back together. That was really a big learning process for me. Lesson one was not to ask the BMW for free information! Lesson two was ask the good folks here on the forum for advice and info. Really a great forum. Thanks to all!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts