BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about shucking the CB and its associated antenna. Then I got to wondering. How is the GPS antenna routed/terminated? Will this affect my GPS reception or are they using totally different antennas.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Which GPS are you using? Many of the newer ones use an integrated internal antenna. Some of the recent but not quite newest ones have an attached "wand" antenna that rotates to the vertical position.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Street Pilot. Came with 03 LT. Not sure what version. The antenna wire plugs directly in GPS. It has a wand antenna to be used when GPS is off bike.

·
Registered
628 Posts
It is more than likely right behind the glass and dash cone, that is where mine is. The CB on or gone and it's antennae will have no effect on your gps.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
K-ration said:
Street Pilot. Came with 03 LT. Not sure what version. The antenna wire plugs directly in GPS. It has a wand antenna to be used when GPS is off bike.
If it is the Navigator II (which is the BMW-badged unti that came with the '03 LTs as an option), than it has a built-in antenna. But whatever. I don't know of a GPS on the planet that shares it's antenna with the BMW CB antenna on the right rear of the bike.

·
Premium Member
2,942 Posts
messenger13 said:
If it is the Navigator II (which is the BMW-badged unti that came with the '03 LTs as an option), than it has a built-in antenna. But whatever. I don't know of a GPS on the planet that shares it's antenna with the BMW CB antenna on the right rear of the bike.
Joe's right AGAIN!
The GPS Sats transmit in the mid microwave region (1575.42 MHz) (Frequency Allocations} of the RF spectrum. The antenna is built-in and probably the size of a postage stamp. (1.78 inches at 1/4 wave)

CB @ 27 MHz is in the high frequency short-wave spectrum. An antenna manufactured at a 1/4 wave design, it would be approx 104" long. The loading coil at the base compensates for the length difference. (albeit, not as efficient as the 1/4 wave)

The most efficient antenna is best designed to be some fraction or multiple of it's wavelength.

I know, I know TMI!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Perfect. That's why we are in forums... NEI (Not Enough Information). There can never be TMI.

·
Registered
698 Posts
messenger13 said:
If it is the Navigator II (which is the BMW-badged unti that came with the '03 LTs as an option), than it has a built-in antenna.

There is no built-in antenna. The antenna is either the short stubby one that attaches on the back of the unit or the remote antenna that is usually mounted with velcro up under the dash cover below the windshield. There have been some other locations used but this one was the most connivent for the dealer installed option since they tied in to the map light area for the mount.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
McAllister said:
There is no built-in antenna.
That's why I posted with a qualifier. Your GPS is obviously NOT a NavII (rebadged 2610), or newer.

Do you have to crank your unit, or is it the newer pull-string model?! :rotf: :histerica

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the information. Too much is better than not enough. I can now remove the CB and antenna with no worries about GPS reception. That was my concern, being technically challenged as I am. I knew you all would set me straight.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts