BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They recommend under the seat, but it seems like you'd want to tweak it here and there. Or am I wrong about that?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Under the pillion. One tweak, then ride on!

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Haven't touched mine since it was installed. Sort of hard to describe where it's installed. Close to the passenger seat power plug. More to the side. Probably have to take a picture to really show you.

Ya, what he said......

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Mine's in the same place as Dan's. It was a pain in the butt getting it set where I wanted it - mostly the VOX sensitivity due to my wife's soft voice. Now that I have it where it works best, I never bother with it.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Velcroed behind the passengers seat backrest onto the top-box wall... keeps it out of the way and also dry.
Power taken from rear powerlet plug behind the LH rear speaker enclosure, just run the wire out of the same hole (that the power goes "in" through...). It is switched power, so no chance of leaving the unit on accidentaly unless you leave the key in the "R" or "ON" position.
I think this works better than drawing it from the seat heater plug.

If you use another input module (phone or music) it can fit neatly under the seat edge above the LH pannier.... although its good to tape them up to stop water that can get up to that area...

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Yep, wired into the rear-speakers and you can switch between the rear speakers or the comms. Discussed in a thread here (see last 2 posts) about a caution on the wiring diagram, which was shown incorrectly for the LT... look at the other bike setup pic's to get the wiring directions correct and save youself some grief.... :confused:

Edit: I think is the one that shows the + / - directions and which side to wire to...

Some good pics here about wiring into the rear speaker connector... but I can't recall if these gets the wiring direction correct.. ( I don't think they did, maybe that's why I had problems with the crook instructions )

I was lucky I put the switch "just" low enough to install the Muddiman arm-rests some years later without having to move the switch!!

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Wow Chris, really nice posting on the how to! Most excellent effort.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Put mine on top of the radio in the glove box.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Doug, do you ever use that little Aux input in your glove box...? I put one in same place, and tried it once I think... just another dust gathering hole now.

BTW, I just ordered a DICE unit from here... will finally strip the CD player out to make more space for my trip.... I'll put the lady's Iphone it it and play her tunes... heh, heh...

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Ya I plug the ipod in there and then it can go through the radio into the autocom. I have found out that to use the ipod without running the volume way up you need am amp, I may put an amp like a Boostaroo in one of these days. I also have a Dice system hook up to the autocom but never use it. Most of the time now I ride alone so I just plug my moulded earphones into the ipod stick it in my jacket and control it with a "Monster" remote on the handlebars.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Under the passenger seat off to the side.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I like the location up front, but since I have the tape deck I have no space like the CD leaves. I'd have to kill off the space for keeping "stuff" in there, which I've been using for the garage door opener and other little things.

·
Registered
446 Posts
calvarez said:
I like the location up front, but since I have the tape deck I have no space like the CD leaves. I'd have to kill off the space for keeping "stuff" in there, which I've been using for the garage door opener and other little things.
You can take out the black spacer above the radio/tape unit and you have lots of room up there. You have to take the stingray off and take out the radio from the back then take out the spacer and replace the radio unit but you have lots of room up there.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I got the idea of putting it there after i saw someone take the cover off above the radio and use it to store his Glock there. Lots of room up there.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh, maybe I'm misunderstanding something. Are you saying that there's a useless/removable cover in there hiding some free space?

The SP-A has a long "rider's headset" cord and a short one for the passenger. Does it matter which one you use for which person? If I put the unit up front, can I use the short one for my headset?

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Frank, so your wife has a quiet voice? Must carry a big stick! :)

Loren

fpmlt said:
Mine's in the same place as Dan's. It was a pain in the butt getting it set where I wanted it - mostly the VOX sensitivity due to my wife's soft voice. Now that I have it where it works best, I never bother with it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts