BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Never heard of an "idle control motor" on the LT. The idle is controlled by the motronics. There is a "throttle valve actuator" that controls cold idle and cruise control. Here's a picture. It is the part labeled "Bosch" Maybe the experts can chime in here.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Usually fuel injected engines have and Idle Air controller that controlls the idle by varying the air into the idle port... Computer controlls the fuel....

Call it what you will.. The above post is what you're looking for...

Take it apart, clean it.. clean the port into the air stream...

Good Luck,

John

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
drifter36 said:
Never heard of an "idle control motor" on the LT. The idle is controlled by the motronics. There is a "throttle valve actuator" that controls cold idle and cruise control. Here's a picture. It is the part labeled "Bosch" Maybe the experts can chime in here.
That is the part. It is located at the rear end of the throttle rail.

The idle control motor only controls idle -- both hot and cold, not just cold.

The idle control motor has no involvement in the cruise control function.

The cruise control function is provided by a separate cable which attaches to the bellcrank at the center of the throttle rail and runs back to the cruise control actuator box under the left side of the nose fairing (the ~5"x3"x2" black box which pulls the cc cable).

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
JPSpen said:
Usually fuel injected engines have and Idle Air controller that controlls the idle by varying the air into the idle port
Afraid not in this case, John -- it's a stepper motor which moves a plunger against a tab on the throttle rail to physically move the throttle plates -- no air involved (the stepper plunger is hidden in the pic behind the outside face of the ISC).

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
printman said:
so this part picture above post can be taken apart to clean.....
Not that I'm aware of -- not considered a serviceable part.

Maybe you could get one apart and find/fix a flaw in the electric motor or its electronic circuits or its wiring inside the ISC unit, but I am not aware of anyone who has taken one of these apart. These things are normally very reliable, so there hasn't been much (any?) dissection.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Thanks Mark, I guess it's been long enough now since I've owned an LT that I probably should just stick to boxers...

John

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
JPSpen said:
Thanks Mark, I guess it's been long enough now since I've owned an LT that I probably should just stick to boxers...

John
I hear that! My 4th (and last) LT was a 2006 -- if I hadn't picked up an '85 K100RT last November as a winter bike to hold me over until the K16 gets here, I probably would have forgotten which way the cylinders point in a Flying Brick! :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts