BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Realization set in for me today after a short/painful ride on my RT, that I must make a temporary 'ride' change or quit riding until next year! :cussing:

Since my right hip soon needs to be replaced with a prosthetic device I decided to buy a used 08' Honda Silverwing. (actually will get bike on Monday)

Hopefully the easier on/off ergonomics of this bike will allow me to continue riding for the remainder of this summer & fall before scheduling my "unable to ride" for a few months surgery.

I'm sure that a lot of people have changed bikes for knee, hip, or back issues, and I'd like to hear about any hopefully positive results from making that temporary bike change.

I still Plan on keeping my RT, but it will have to remain on it's center stand with fresh oil in the engine til next spring. :(

·
Premium Member
2,946 Posts
Realization set in for me today after a short/painful ride on my RT, that I must make a temporary 'ride' change or quit riding until next year! :cussing:

Since my right hip soon needs to be replaced with a prosthetic device I decided to buy a used 08' Honda Silverwing. (actually will get bike on Monday)

Hopefully the easier on/off ergonomics of this bike will allow me to continue riding for the remainder of this summer & fall before scheduling my "unable to ride" for a few months surgery.

I'm sure that a lot of people have changed bikes for knee, hip, or back issues, and I'd like to hear about any hopefully positive results from making that temporary bike change.

I still Plan on keeping my RT, but it will have to remain on it's center stand with fresh oil in the engine til next spring. :(
Had a knee replacment 5 years ago late November. Took 4 weeks off work, worked like hell with the physical therapist and was ridng in the spring to Nova Scotia!:dance:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Had a knee replacment 5 years ago late November. Took 4 weeks off work, worked like hell with the physical therapist and was ridng in the spring to Nova Scotia!:dance:
Thats great. I also plan on doing everything as perscribed by the P.T. after replacement, since the thought of giving up riding is not in my book. LOL

It strikes me as strange that the pain from a bad joint can suddenly appear and progress within a period of only about 6-9 weeks. :confused:
Absolutely zero discomfort last year or last winter.. then ka-bam, it's very obvious.

Thanks for the reply, and hope you can get some great rides in this year.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I have had both knees replaced, in 08(march) was walking with walker or cane in 3 weeks. You must follow the PT's instruction to the "T". Then in July rode to the MOA rally in Gillette, WY. the whole trip was over 2 wks and a total of 4200 miles.

In 2010 had hip replaced, much harder to recover. 4 months before I could even get the leg over the bike.

Now I tirer much easier. Still ride just returned yesterday from trip to St. Paul. total trip just under 3000 miles. 8 day on the road, 2 full days in St Paul.

I ride a K1200 LTC.

PM me with a phone # if you want to talk.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts