BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how sensitive are the speakers and front dash to water? my last bike (v-star) i could immerse in water with never a hiccup but i'm a little concerned here.....

but overall just LOVING this ride. finished the 1st 1K service (600 mile for you yanks :) )

i'm so happy :dance:

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Washing your bike after just 1000 miles/kms? Why? True Beemer riders don't wash the bike unless Mother Nature does it for you ;)

Just Kidding! Wash away! The speakers are weatherproof and marine grade. Would I take a hose and runnit into the grills for an hour with Aerosmith playing? No. But I wouldn't worry about giving it a once or twice over with a soapy sponge.

Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
412driver said:
how sensitive are the speakers and front dash to water? my last bike (v-star) i could immerse in water with never a hiccup but i'm a little concerned here.....

but overall just LOVING this ride. finished the 1st 1K service (600 mile for you yanks :) )

Hey, don't steal my avatar!! :histerica

Nothing to worry about as far as I can tell. I've had 3 LTs and have washed them all (not within the 1st 600 miles, though :eek: ) and I didn't really do anything other than not blast the speakers directly with the power sprayer. Otherwise I just washed as I normally would. I figured if they are supposed to stand up to all weather riding a little bath won't hurt them, and after 7 years of that philosophy I've never had a speaker probelm or failure.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
DavidTaylor said:
Hey, don't steal my avatar!! :histerica
His is moving!:thumb: . Yours is... not!:(

DavidTaylor said:
Nothing to worry about as far as I can tell. I've had 3 LTs and have washed them all (not within the 1st 600 miles, though :eek: ) and I didn't really do anything other than not blast the speakers directly with the power sprayer. Otherwise I just washed as I normally would. I figured if they are supposed to stand up to all weather riding a little bath won't hurt them, and after 7 years of that philosophy I've never had a speaker probelm or failure.
Same here! I'd rather be riding than washing the beast, and when I finally decide to wash it I use the power sprayer and simply avoid aiming at the speakers.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
zippy_gg said:
His is moving!:thumb: . Yours is... not!:(

Same here! I'd rather be riding than washing the beast, and when I finally decide to wash it I use the power sprayer and simply avoid aiming at the speakers.
mines BANGIN'!!! :rotf:

hmmmm, better not mention the other two washings then???? :eek: :)

thanks guys........

·
Registered
609 Posts
I've been wondering when this would come to light......I say a death match :histerica :histerica :histerica :histerica :histerica :histerica

Mike

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you use a power washer, don't hit the windshield or you will blast the coating off the windshield. Don't ask me how I know. It says if I remember right not to use a high pressure wand to wash your bike in the manual. My next purchase will be a new windscreen. while it does not make it unusable in the places where it blasted the coating off, it does look a little crappy. Never a problem with water in the speakers. Sounds really cool if you play Bobby Darin singing Splish Splash I was Takin A Bath. :histerica

·
Registered
368 Posts
I don't think that anyone on this board washes their bike more than I do. I always try to avoid getting the dash area soapy. Whatever water splashes there from the very low pressure hose is just wiped off during the drying process. I concentrate the soapy towel on the windshield, headlight and wheels. I can do it all in about 15 minutes including cleaning the break dust off of the rims. The more often you do it, the easier it is.

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Take care around the radio buttons, 'control element' in BMW-speak. They tend to develop leaks that can introduce water into the internals and lead to radio gremlins. Water can be introduce by rain or hose. Once wet in there it may dry out by itself or not. It's not hard to remove and clean/dry the control element but it does take time to remove the tupperware and radio. From my experience it will dry by itself, but leave a small amount of residual crud that will eventually require attention.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
In other words Rob, don't wash your bike!!!:D

·
Registered
362 Posts
Washing the beast

If the weather is nice enough to wash, It must be riding time!!:rotf:

412driver said:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts