BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you have a system for deciding when to replace tires? I do not want to waste rubber and I do not want to be on a long trip and have to replace a worn tire away from my friendly tire store.
I have thought about measuring the tread depth outside the center wear patch and within it to find a used %. Since I ride about 2,000 miles a month and have a 2,000+ trip, in a month, that is 4,000 will my rear be good without causing any worry. It seems the 880s last about 10,000 on the rear and I will be over that during the trip but today it looks just fine.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
bblalock said:
Do any of you have a system for deciding when to replace tires? I do not want to waste rubber and I do not want to be on a long trip and have to replace a worn tire away from my friendly tire store.
I have thought about measuring the tread depth outside the center wear patch and within it to find a used %. Since I ride about 2,000 miles a month and have a 2,000+ trip, in a month, that is 4,000 will my rear be good without causing any worry. It seems the 880s last about 10,000 on the rear and I will be over that during the trip but today it looks just fine.
Hi, Benton -

That tread depth measuring gig is what I do. Got a leetle pocket pen size tread depth measurer and check several places around the tire's circumference. I use (as do most inspection stations around the state) the Tejas state DOT data for passing inspection. I've rarely seen the embedded wear indicators in tires, and not sure if they're in tune with the DOT limits. Planning for a trip that might call for a tire change during - I would 'usually' put on new tires before the trip and hold the old ones back, to finish them out when I return.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I'm less scientific than Dick since I do it mostly by look.

My gauge has a thread life measure-er in it, but, I don't use it :confused:

I put about the same miles per month, but, can only get around 7-8K out of my Metzelers, something about a "wrist problem" that eats them up ;) I've worn them until the cords begin to show, but, I really try to avoid that situation.

If I were going on a long trip, I would 100% follow Dick's advice, change the tire. Why deal with that hemmeroid on the road? Remount it when you get back or keep it for emergency, whatever. Having new rubber is sweet and will make the trip more enjoyable!

Ride Safe.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
I am very new to BMW LT but as a Harley rider I had an iron class rule to change every 10,000 regardless of how they looked. Call it crazy or safe or dumb --- it is just my personal rule. Some like to stretch it out but not me.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I'll follow Dick's plan and change as close as is safe for the trip. I always allow some riding on new items so if there is a problem with it I should be able to remedy it before leaving.

·
Registered
140 Posts
My new rule of thumb is, if I'm thinking that I might need new tires, then I probably do and should get them.

I just got my first set (ever) of new motorcycle tires mounted. Initially I didn't know whether they were due to be replaced or not, just by looking at them. Looking at the new ones, I definitely needed to replace them. A huge difference in tread. They are the same brand tires so it's an apples to apples comparison.

I figure the tires are one of the most important things keeping me upright, if not THE most important. Personally, I don't like the idea of pushing the safety envelope of tire wear just to postpone buying new ones. Yes, tires are expensive, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Dick,

What the depth that you replace tires at?

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Less than 2/32 is considered unsafe and will not pass inspection in Texas and many other states. That is at the lowest spot.

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
Abate and others use the "Penny" test. If you take a penny, and stick it in the tread at the most worn part, if you can see the entire head of Lincoln, you need new tires.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For the record, I do not run severely worn tires either. My concern was trying to decide before a long trip whether a replacement was necessary. I do not want to be at a dealer gett'n new shoes 2,000 miles into a 4,000 mile trip if I can help it.

·
Registered
461 Posts
The bike just feels so good with new tires and my medical deductable is the same as one new tire .I have not had a flat on a street bike yet , some have gone down and some say it is a hand full to get stopped with a flat tire .I do not wish to risk scaring the wife into not riding over a flat tire if I can help it .

Bob G

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I ride the my bikes for fun and when the tires on my LT get a flat spot or cupped i change them. I find that the bike when the rear gets get a a flat controur it grabs the grooves and ridges in the road and I don't like that so i just change them and the bike feels like new.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Now, that's a worn tire!

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
vgstef said:
When your tire look like this it is time to change your time .
You can almost see the air in the tire... :rotf:

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
Checking the wear bars is always handy. If you look at it before going on a trip and go, "Hmmm, I wonder...", go buy tires.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts