BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How should I best effect an oil change on 7k mile trip??
Right now I'm 2700 before due which will probably put me into AZ. Family in San Diego and WA state and return home. So the question is halfway no matter what or CA and then again back home. Would the extra 1000 or so miles over 3 hurt?
Mid -June is quickly approaching.
ride safe :bmw:

·
Registered
876 Posts
Won't even be an issue worth worrying about mate, long runs like that are great, change the oil when you get home, she'll be fine. 10,000 miles @ 50mph average speed = 200 operating hours,..... nothing really. ;)

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Gotta agree with Dennis. I put on 17,000km in a 7 week trip, changed 2 rear tyres in that time but all fluids weren't touched again (apart from a little oil top-up) till well after the trip was done. Not a problem with the motor, purred all the way.
Enjoy your ride Bill!

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
You can easily do 6000 miles on a oil change, no worries.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
I take it you do 3000 mile changes? I think recommended is 6000. I do mine at 5000. Long trip, no problem. It's the city driving that really gets them dirty. Just keep it full. Or take a filter with you and change it out at some auto parts store. All it'll cost you is an oil pan and they may even have one to loan you.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Or if you want the comfort level of your desired oil change interval, I'm sure there are several members of the forum along the way that would be happy to host you for an oil change etc for a couple hours.

Depending on when you breeze through Phoenix (meaning if I am in town), you are more than welcome to come and drain your oil at my place, the facilities aren't superb but I manage - it's an option.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,969 Posts
With todays oil I wouldn't worry one bit about riding 7000 miles before a oil change unless it is still under warranty. Long highway miles are a lot different than short rides around town because the oil gets hot enough to evaporate the moisture & some of the other contaminates.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
copperstatetour said:
Or if you want the comfort level of your desired oil change interval, I'm sure there are several members of the forum along the way that would be happy to host you for an oil change etc for a couple hours.

Depending on when you breeze through Phoenix (meaning if I am in town), you are more than welcome to come and drain your oil at my place, the facilities aren't superb but I manage - it's an option.
Thanks on the offer.
I am overwhelmed everytime by the generosity shown by members on this forum. I mean not an agreed tech session but just inviting a total stranger into your bike workshop. Now that's CLASS. Thanks again mid-June but won't quite make it to Phoenix.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
saddleman said:
With todays oil I wouldn't worry one bit about riding 7000 miles before a oil change unless it is still under warranty. Long highway miles are a lot different than short rides around town because the oil gets hot enough to evaporate the moisture & some of the other contaminates.
No I'm on my own.
Warranty expired last month(tax day). But during those years I got accustomed to consistently do it every 3000 miles. After my 600 mile break-in I stuck pretty close. I even interrupted my route 66 trip to CA for one of the service maintenance intervals at my dealer. The good side was a detour into TX with a mere 200 miles over.
So the general consensus here is it's OK enjoy the trip leave my worries behind. Watch it and a good change back home. Thanks all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts