BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever I hook up a newly charged battery, the engine turns over continuously even though the bike is off and key is out. If its in gear, it will lurch forward. Doesn’t stop until I actually start the bike.

Very strange.

Anyone else experience this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,460 Posts
BeemerBoyLT said:
Whenever I hook up a newly charged battery, the engine turns over continuously even though the bike is off and key is out. If its in gear, it will lurch forward. Doesn’t stop until I actually start the bike.

Very strange.

Anyone else experience this?

Thanks.
Tons of info on the 'feature'!! Click here for a start. This will lead you to other search items that cover this known problem. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Obviously an older LT... Hit the starter button a few times while it's cranking..

Your starter relay is stuck closed.... There is an updated relay kit for this to prevent the bike from cranking when the battery is low...

If you try to start the bike with a low battery the relay contacts will weld shut.. Sometimes pressing the button will break them loose...The new kit fixes this issue...

Both sides of the tupperware, The Seat, Stingray, And fuel tank have to be removed to get to the relay pack....

Your 99 LT doesn't have quick disconnects for the fuel lines.. Get some here..

Good Luck

John

·
Registered
297 Posts
Same thing happened while back on the Duc. The starter relay is stuck. First try smacking it. That might release the arm in the relay. Then put in a new starter relay.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,061 Posts
MarinPhil said:
First try smacking it. That might release the arm in the relay. Then put in a new starter relay.
A little hard to smack it as it is in an electrical box under the fuel tank.

But the "hit the button" while it is cranking often does get it to release. Some have even bypassed the old relay with a simple Ford starter relay.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.