BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched the interwebs and find tons of information about warranty and replacement and zapping and on and on but I can't find the exact date/model they did away with it on R1200RTs. Does anyone know for sure without guessing?

I am in the market for another RT but after having a 2007 with multiple FS failures I will pass until I know which no longer possess the evil bastards.

And yes I have heard the one about setting my tripmeter to not run out bla bla bla. $20k+ bike should have a working gas gauge. Half the functions on the computer have to do with fuel. It was a crime BMW let it go for years knowing it was a problem.

Posts about how yours didn't fail will not be useful. Or about the 12 year warranty they so graciously provided. Then what? I just need a date and model.

Actually a chart or complete detailed description of changes would be useful in other ways as well. Plenty of spec websites but nothing about the fuel strip change that I can find.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Production on 2010 models starts in the fall of 2009. So, be safe and get a 2011. But the build date is on the frame ID sticker.

·
Registered
31 Posts

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,520 Posts
Change over was August builds of 2010.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Thanks. But I am on RealOEM parts and see the float on RTs back to 2008? 16148554066 - Lever Sensor 2008-2014 BMW-Motorrad R1200RT | BMW Motorrad USA

I am interested in buying a Camhead so a late 2010+ is probably a pretty good bet to be a float. I guess?

Does anyone have a 2010 RT with a fuel strip?
On the web page Realoem both fuel strip and fuel float diagrams are displayed. If you click on the fuel strip after July 2010 production you get a red sentence stating "No parts found matching your car". If you click on the diagram showing the float you will get a list of parts breakdown. That's how the Realoem illustrated parts catalog is setup up. For this reason it is important to use your VIN and other specific information before you do a search for parts. You may come across an error once in a while but I found Realoem to be quite helpful and accurate.
Organism Font Screenshot Circle Diagram
Human body Jaw Organism Gesture Font

·
Registered
4 Posts
I believe my ‘10 RT has the float, only because I’ve never had issues. Realoem says I have a sensor. Is there any way I can tell? Perhaps the PO had a float installed?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I believe my ‘10 RT has the float, only because I’ve never had issues. Realoem says I have a sensor. Is there any way I can tell? Perhaps the PO had a float installed?
They are not interchangeable. The bikes computer is setup for either a fuel strip or fuel float.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you have a GS-911 it will tell you what you have or a factory code reader will I assume? I had one when I had my 2007. I used it to calibrate the replacement fuel strip. You can swap them out yourself with the GS-911 but the strips were $220 and the GS-911 was $400. Still worth owning the GS-911 since it can be sold for like $300.

I wouldn't even have a problem with a broken fuel strip if I knew the $220 replacement would last a few years. No guarantee it will last a day. A dealer may replace one that they had just put in but double the price to have them install it in the first place after the 12 year warranty. Hence my frustration with an out of warranty fuel strip. They aren't that hard to install.

If you aren't having any trouble with your fuel strip, assuming you have one, consider yourself lucky.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,520 Posts
It was so much easier to just "zap" the strip on my GS when it failed. It would start working again and last until it failed again, then another "zap". After I sold the GS I carried the zapper I made on my LT and zapped a few RT for my friends.

Reactions: davebullock

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It was so much easier to just "zap" the strip on my GS when it failed. It would start working again and last until it failed again, then another "zap". After I sold the GS I carried the zapper I made on my LT and zapped a few RT for my friends.
Right except when it didn't work. Of course that was the first thing I tried since it cost about $10. Didn't work. When I pulled the bad one out you could see where the trace was open so zapping couldn't bridge the gap.

I just wish BMW would have created a new strip in about 2005 when they found out they were junk. Instead they just replaced them for 12 years and still haven't addressed the issue on a bike that will probably be around for 30+ years. Hell, an idiot light that told you when you were down to one gallon would have been better. Pretty much what my 1993 K75 came with.

For me this is about a moot point since I sold my 2007. But other people have to be as frustrated as me. And I love BMWs that is why I am looking for a post 2011 RT. I will keep my K75 probably until I can't push it out of the garage. Not worth much but damn good engineering and fixable by me.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Thanks. But I am on RealOEM parts and see the float on RTs back to 2008? 16148554066 - Lever Sensor 2008-2014 BMW-Motorrad R1200RT | BMW Motorrad USA

I am interested in buying a Camhead so a late 2010+ is probably a pretty good bet to be a float. I guess?

Does anyone have a 2010 RT with a fuel strip?
I have a 2011 RT. FS went three years ago. Current FS went bust when less than two years old. BMW UK don’t want to know. 12,000 Fuel strips have been replaced over 12 years foc by BMW US. It is maddening. £350 replacement every two years. I’ll carry a stick with me and check when odometer suggests it might be low. BMW UK are crap.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I find it curious that an '11 EU spec bike would have a different fuel sensor configuration than a North American one.
I've been told in the past that bikes sold in Europe are considered by the year they're first sold/registered while NA vehicles are registered by production dates.
What I mean is a bike scheduled to be produced as a '22 model year, sold in '23 in Europe would become a '23 model year while in NA it would become an unsold previous year '22 sold as new in '23.

I don't know if this is true but it might explain the difference.

If you look at the realoem parts fiche, the production cut off date for the float is 08/10.

Anyways, my riding partner had an '11 RT with the fuel float sensor. So any NA spec bike produced post '11 should have the float.

·
Registered
2009 R1200RT Low, 2010 R1200RT Low
44 Posts
I emailed the local dealership parts manager with my 2010 VIN, and asked if it had the strip. He responded quickly, informing me that it did.

FYI, my '09 had it replaced 4 times, the last being 3 years ago. It has been fine since, with 45K on it. My '10 has about 25K on it and has not failed yet.

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
My 07 had several replacements. Then somewhere along the line, the dealer or the guy that worked on my bike [damn sure was not a certified mechanic] at the dealer - I learned later - that he'd found out about zapping the strips instead of replacing them. Needless to say, my 400 mile round trip to the dealer to get the FS replaced was a wasted trip. One trip - the strip failed the very next day after he zapped it.

In the end, it worked for me because after filing a formal complaint to BMW NA and the dealer, I was offered a 15 RTW for a steal of a price which I grabbed. My son now has the 07 and we get to enjoy some rides we otherwise likely wouldn't.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My 2007 has got through 6 FS all replaced under warranty. The last was fitted a few months before i bought the bike.
I had to zap it when i got the bike. There is a YT video on converting to a float on a GS but IRC it was about $1000 to do it.
Mostly new European models go on sale in Europe between 6 months to a year before exporting them to other continents.
Play it safe and buy a 2012 model.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts