BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any clues to why that is ? It usualy comes along when I roll the bike foreward a little bit!

And I also usualy park it on side stand, is it a dumb thing to kill the engine by putting the side stand out when the engine is running and I have clutch engaged and in first gear?

·
Registered
558 Posts
I think that the shifting into first thing is normal-at least it is with mine.

Killing the engine with the sidestand won't hurt anything. When you park using the sidestand make sure to roll the bike forward till it stops before you get off. LT's have a tendency to tip over if they roll forward just a bit on the sidestand. Parking on the sidestand for a long time can cause the bike to smoke for a bit on start up.

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
ATFLT said:
I think that the shifting into first thing is normal-at least it is with mine.
I agree since it appears normal to my '99, also. I will press my foot down on the shifter, into first, and release the clutch very slowly until I feel it engage. Then I know I'm good to go. This will sometimes also happen to me if I don't downshift into first while rolling to a stop, warm or cold.

HTH,
Jer

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
I don't think it is a "warm/hot/cold/fridgid" issue. It is a mechanical alignment situation,... NOT a problem.

The gearbox doesn't have "synchros" like most cars. So, they rely on a slight "movement" of the gears to enable alignment. You can easily demonstrate/experience this by putting the bike on the CS and clicking through gears. I'll bet that you will have to move the rear wheel, just a bit, to allow the gears to change. (Try moving parts by hand with engine OFF so you can feel it better.)

To 'eliminate' this.... when my bike is in neutral and RUNNING, (APPLY and hold FRONT BRAKE) I ease out on the clutch WHILE ... I put just a LITTLE bit of downward pressure on the shifter TIMED exactly as I squeeze the clutch.

Since the "input shaft" is being spun by the engine, it quickly aligns and allows the gear to be selected... never fails.

Another method... with engine running, pull in on clutch, HOLD front brake, apply slight "shift" pressure... if the bike goes into gear, "okay"... no problem.. If it doesn't go into gear, keep pressure applied and "EEEEEEAAAASSSSSE" out on the clutch just until the bike goes into gear.... Then you can ride off or squeeze the clutch to stay.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all of you :)

Peace in mind hehe

·
Registered
173 Posts
For mine, I have to kick the thing into gear within a second or two of pulling in the clutch. If I let it run for more than a few seconds with the clutch engaged it will never go into gear.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
Sofitel505 said:
For mine, I have to kick the thing into gear within a second or two of pulling in the clutch. If I let it run for more than a few seconds with the clutch engaged it will never go into gear.
Yup... things quit spinning in the gearbox pretty quick...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts