BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just lost an old friend on a Goldwing Monday afternoon. This guy had just got a new tire mounted at the Honda shop and the bike checked out before they left. Leaving out the details.....The bike started to shake and then the rear wheel came loose flipping the bike and throwing them to the pavement. He lived only for a short time. His wife had broken legs and hip still in Hospital.

Reading some of the related post on a honda site it appears that the rear wheel is sort of centered on the hub then the bolts are tightened.

Could this type of thing happen on my newly bought 06 LT?

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
It can and has happened. Over-torquing the wheel bolts will cause this. Excessive torque can cause the bolts to sheer off, leaving the threaded bolt shafts in the hub. I'm not saying that caused the accident you refer to, but it certainly could have and would be consistent with a new tire install. You would be wise to have someone take a good look at that bike before it is disposed of.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,101 Posts
I guess I shoud have started off with a heartfelt sorry for your loss and I understand your pain. If I was the dealer that serviced that bike I would talking to my lawers and bracing for a hefty lawsuit!

It can happen on ANY vehicle that is not properly serviced. I have seen auto wheels fly off. That is why I am the ONLY one that torques my wheels.

·
Miles of Smiles
1,054 Posts
" That is why I am the ONLY one that torques my wheels "

+1 I trust myself best !

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
"That is why I am the ONLY one that torques my wheels."

Same here. I double check myself on things I do. Not to say that I do not make a mistake occasionally, but I feel that I am more concerned, have more at stake, and am more conscientious than a hired wrench.

Sorry to hear of your friends misfortune, but thanks for posting to make us all think.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Profound sadness at the tragic loss

If anything can be learned from this is to double check the work its all to easy to just jump on to the machine and take off which can lead to senseless losses for something as mundane as loose lug nuts.

·
Registered
637 Posts
That is just a horrible consequence for a simple slip up by some mechanic.

Something similar could happen on BMWs as there is a shim behind many back wheels that if accidentally left off, could cause the wheel bolts to bottom out yet still leave the wheel loose.

An incorrect length wheel bolt can do the same thing.

I do my own wheel installations too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts