BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What product is good for cleaning the wheels? Mine seem to have a greasy-gunk build up on them.

·
Registered
635 Posts
On a previous bike with a chain I was using a product called Bean Clean to clean the chain. I found it also worked very well on cleaning the wheels of the crud you mentioned. It is a soybean oil base, so does not smell bad like other cleaners and is good for the environment, yet very effective. Although I am no longer cleaning chains I use it for grease & crud clean-up tasks around the garage, including my hands. If you Google Bean Clean, you will find the source.

·
Registered
657 Posts
bwest5 said:
What product is good for cleaning the wheels? Mine seem to have a greasy-gunk build up on them.
I just use those Armor-All cleaning wipes in the tubular dispenser. They are expensive, but they last a long time. They win in my book because they are convenient. If I'm washing the bike I'll use a wet generic "Bounce Sheet"; those really remove grease and grime quickly.

I don't use the Armor All on many ofther places, because it seems to leave a residue. I don't notice that on the wheels or other greasy spots.

·
Registered
545 Posts
bwest5 said:
All season long, just bucket of warm soapy water and a sponge. Seems to work for me. I don't let it accumulate for long though - that might make a difference.

Best, John

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
I like Simple Green... smells good and is effective.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
I use this.
http://www.saeng.com/category.php?category=58
Can Do

Extra help may be needed for heavy tar spots. And it is absolutely the best for the flat black plastic all over the bike. Makes it look like new on the show room floor. It takes me about 2 hours to paste wax my sports car. One day I wanted it waxed but did not have the enthusiasm for the full meal deal. I got out the spray can, 20 minutes later the car looked great. I have used this stuff for years and it is good. Especially on that matt plastic. And....no white dry wax in the cracks. Does not take the place of a good paste wax job but it cleans the wheels, removes the baked on dirt on exhaust headers, wonder worker on exhaust silencers. Good stuff.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I use Mcquires wheel cleaner on a paper towel. Removes all road grit including tar. I follow by spraying the wheel with water and drying

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Amen to Trojan and Hopz - soap and water for the most part, Simple Green for the grunge (wheels, undercarriage, etc.). Followed by a coat of Turtle Wax Ice on everything BUT the wheels - I don't want that stuff anywhere near the brake rotors - and the saddle.

BTW, if you remove the rear wheel to change your final drive fluid every 12K like the new recommendation says, you get a bonus opportunity to wash your rear wheel a lot easier than when it's on the bike.

JayJay

·
Registered
737 Posts
Wash the wheels normally, then use Goo-Gone on a rag for the residue/tar/crap, then wash normally again. Takes a couple minutes.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'll second the Windex! We buy the big bottle at Costco or Sams and just refill. I'll clean the wheels almost every time we take the bike out. As far as tar is concerned, a few drops of Goo-Gone on a micro fiber cloth.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
It may just be me, but Goo Gone is a great product but it has a couple of serious problems.

First, read the label carefully and you will see it contains a powerful solvent that is dangerous to humans... I used to work in the integrated circuit manufacturing process and the EPA, and Safety people were worried that the Trichlorethelyne or Trich as it was known, was gonna kill us all. If you put that stuff on a rag and then put your finger in the rag, well... you take your own chances.

Second, That solvent will take the paint off your wheel and/or soften it, as well as remove any and all "protective" substance you may have added to the wheel.

Disclaimer: These are my personal feelings. I will not debate the issue with anyone. You actual l mileage my vary. Clean your wheels with anything you like...

Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
43 Posts
IMHO Mineral spirits will generally remove tar off of the wheels and painted surfaces without damage. A gallon costs about $10-$15 or a quart can be had for $6-$8 at any home improvement store. Regular car wash soap at $5-$10 a gallon from the local auto parts store works great on the wheels and the rest of the bike as well. It gets diluted at 1oz to one gallon of warm water so it goes a long way and it gets the bugs off and doesn't strip the wax as well.

I use an instant detailer like the one from Mothers or McGuire's for touch ups between waxing with a liquid or paste wax.

The windshield gets cleaned with Novus 1 spray between washes.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
hopz said:
I like Simple Green... smells good and is effective.

+1. Works great, smells great and is relatively cheap depending on where and the container size you purchase.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I use BMW and Harley Wheel Cleaners.

I used to use Honda Spray polish for rims. But one time I went to my local BMW Dealer for front tire replace. The weigths they put on the front rim,fell off after couple of days. When I went back to them they gave me hard time since I was not using a regular wheel cleaner product. Ever since I switched to a regular wheel cleaner.

bwest5 said:

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
The weights coming off were not your fault. Any good tire tech (myself included as I change tires for many people) knows you have to clean the weight spot with some solvent and let it dry before you affix them. A good cleaning and a coat of some type of wax or finishing product helps keep the rims clean and makes it easier to wash them up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts