BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for suggestions for a wheel chock, one that can be used freestanding, as well as bolted down to the trailer if needed. Have to buy one since i dumped my LT on her side today, while trying to strap it down on a buddies trailer!

Oh well, a couple minor beauty marks, i guess i will have to come up with a Jack Riepe type story for them!

Thanks!

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
I love my Baxley Chock. I use it on the lift and on the trailer, very well built. The sport chock is right for the LT.
You can get cheaper but not better than these. https://www.baxleycompanies.com/

Reactions: kbob12

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I use one similar to what John is recommending. Free standing could present some trouble if you are not careful. I had mine adjusted as wide as it could go and the hole the front tire fell into almost required jacking the bike out of the chock. That is the way it was given to me by the PO. It would not roll out free standing as the chock had nothing to hold it firm. I have adjusted it since and it is better plus I have it bolted to my lift so the LT's reverse has no issue pulling it out. I just have no extensions for my feet so I still need help to not drop it getting it off the lift.

Attachments

·
Old Dawg
3,293 Posts
Reactions: davebullock

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
Looking for suggestions for a wheel chock, one that can be used freestanding, as well as bolted down to the trailer if needed. Have to buy one since i dumped my LT on her side today, while trying to strap it down on a buddies trailer!

Oh well, a couple minor beauty marks, i guess i will have to come up with a Jack Riepe type story for them!

Thanks!
When I am strapping down my LT on a ferry (I don’t trailer my LT on principle. :grin:), I do it as follows:

1. Park LT on sidestand.
2. Attach ratchet straps to all four corners using the recommended strap locations leaving some slack in all straps.
3. Tighten the straps opposite the sidestand until the LT is in the vertical position (it is easier if you have someone else to hold the bike upright while you do this, but it can easily be done solo. You may have to loosen the straps on the sidestand side if you didn’t leave enough slack to get the bike upright. The key is to not leave too much slack so that if you pull the bike over-center, it can’t tip over, but just “fall” against the straps on the side stand side.
4. Once the bike is basically vertical, adjust tension on the straps as required for transport.
5. Raise the side stand.

Then once at your destination, lower the side stand and loosen the straps opposite the side stand to allow the LT to slowly tip back over onto the side stand. Remove all straps and you are ready to roll.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I love my Baxley Chock. I use it on the lift and on the trailer, very well built. The sport chock is right for the LT.
You can get cheaper but not better than these. https://www.baxleycompanies.com/
Can't imagine using anything other than my Baxley. Extremely confident when parking the bike in it.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Baxley - Great 👍

Convenient h/w kit for trailer floor attachment and very stable as a stand-alone chock in garage.. and hangs on wall, out of way when not needed..

Attachments

·
Registered
717 Posts
Yeah, I tried using a free-standing chock with the LT. Getting parked was easy and it held great. The trouble was getting out. The LT is way too heavy to manually haul it out of the chock. Putting the bike in Reverse only had the effect of dragging the chock across the garage floor. Something to think about if you want to use it free-standing. With the centerstand, there hasn't been much reason for me to put it into the stand.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I found the available adjustments offered on the Baxley chocks make the ‘bike out movement’ fairly easy, once the correct position for your bike is found.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Voyager, I agree, the LT is meant to be ridden! As a rule, I don't trailer my LT. My better half and I have ridden through 37 states and 5 Canadian provinces. Every ride began and ended at home, with no trailer involved.

BUT, when the nearest dealer (who can be trusted, that's another story) is almost 3 hours away, it's tough to get someone to pick you up after leaving the Large Truck for service.

I am worried about having the chock slide when removing the bike, but i don't want to drill holes in a borrowed trailer to mount it.

Thanks for the input all!

Leaving for Florida (and 7 mores states) in 28 days!

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
With chock placed against front wall or frame of trailer and bike strapped off forks to each front trailer corner, it will not move

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
Voyager, I agree, the LT is meant to be ridden! As a rule, I don't trailer my LT. My better half and I have ridden through 37 states and 5 Canadian provinces. Every ride began and ended at home, with no trailer involved.

BUT, when the nearest dealer (who can be trusted, that's another story) is almost 3 hours away, it's tough to get someone to pick you up after leaving the Large Truck for service.

I am worried about having the chock slide when removing the bike, but i don't want to drill holes in a borrowed trailer to mount it.

Thanks for the input all!

Leaving for Florida (and 7 mores states) in 28 days!
My LT service facility is about 150’ from my house. :grin:

·
Registered
4,356 Posts

!
Find an extra strap and strap the chock to the front of the trailer or to something unmovable in front of it and you will be able to back it off.

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
I originally bought a wheel chock from Cycle Gear, couldn't get the LT out without a neighbor's help, even after putting a plastic bag over the wheel cradle as recommended by another rider to prevent the tire from sticking to the cradle. Took it back and bought a Condor, which I really love.

I normally parked my LT, and now my GTLE in the chock nightly. To ensure the chock doesn't move forward when riding into it, I bolted some wood blocks in front and back of the front brace. This worked well, but once, when I had been working on the LT, I used the foot peg to get up off the floor, and while my back was turned, the LT fell right, into my car - no damage to the LT, but made a couple of minor dents in the car.

I then bought and installed the rear legs for the Condor, with the thought that it would make it much more unlikely to topple to the side. That worked great for a while, until the GTLE fell to the left into a workbench, still in the Condor. I have since bolted the Condor firmly to the concrete floor and don't anticipate any further problems, barring a major earthquake.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts