BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having just read FrankNitti's thread, where several folks mention the adapters to balance rear BMW wheels on Harbour Freight type static balance devices, it reminded me that I could use such a thing for my balancer. The cones supplied with it are nowhere near large enough for a BMW wheel.

Can anyone please post a picture of the LT rear wheel adapter they use (with dimensions if possible?), a friend has recently bought a lathe and is keen to put it to work (OK, I'm keen to put him to work >:))

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Having just read FrankNitti's thread, where several folks mention the adapters to balance rear BMW wheels on Harbour Freight type static balance devices, it reminded me that I could use such a thing for my balancer. The cones supplied with it are nowhere near large enough for a BMW wheel.

Can anyone please post a picture of the LT rear wheel adapter they use (with dimensions if possible?), a friend has recently bought a lathe and is keen to put it to work (OK, I'm keen to put him to work >:))

Thanks.
PM Beech. He makes them.

·
Registered
425 Posts

Google is your friend here. I own one of these and it works great. From what I understand, Marc Parnes' device is very similar.

-John

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
That large recess in the middle of the photo above is set up for the 50mm flange on wheel hub that fits into the drive unit to line up things. So if you make a cup that has a 50mm large recess about 10mm deep and then a central hole about 18mm or so all the way through for your balance axle you should be good. The one on the right of the photo is what I'm talking about. It will work on all single shock bikes up to 2005, then the one on the left takes over by bolting to the wheel. You just fit the "cup" type to the small alignment flange and capture your wheel and cup together with your sliding cones on the axle shaft of your static balance machine. I make a few when I have a short piece of aluminum round stock hanging around. I used to sell a lot of these to the airhead crowd but don't hang on that site any longer.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
I have ten of the 5 bolt adapters left. Need to move them out. Fits any bike (rt, gs, K bikes) with a 5 bolt rear wheel. $48 and that incluses postage. There is 15 bucks of aluminum in it then the machining. Pretty much at cost.
This is not for K LT series 4 bolt wheels with a center fifth bolt. Sorry for the confusion. Harbor freight has one of those that might work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts