BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '99 LT with a steering damper that has probably empty of fluid for awhile. Do I forget about it, rebuild it, or buy the new $300+ after market replacement. I rode it 6K last year and didn't miss it. Thanks for your input. :bmw:

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
av8trto said:
I have a '99 LT with a steering damper that has probably empty of fluid for awhile. Do I forget about it, rebuild it, or buy the new $300+ after market replacement. I rode it 6K last year and didn't miss it. Thanks for your input. :bmw:
Generally if you ALWAYS have your hand on the bars early bikes seldom if ever head shake. However with worn tires or a funky road surface and you happen to take hands OFF the bars ... violent head shake may happen that with a functioning damper is a non issue ... a defective damper won't do squat if that happens. The rest as they say is happen chance :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
motorhead said:
Generally if you ALWAYS have your hand on the bars early bikes seldom if ever head shake. However with worn tires or a funky road surface and you happen to take hands OFF the bars ... violent head shake may happen that with a functioning damper is a non issue ... a defective damper won't do squat if that happens. The rest as they say is happen chance :rolleyes:
I would agree. It took some effort with mine to even experience the hands off wobble that is talked about. However, having experienced a full fledged tank slapper on another brand of bike, the cost of a steering damper is cheap insurance against the perhaps rare event on your LT. It's there for a reason, if it's defective replace it.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,109 Posts
First be sure it is dead. With the front wheel off the ground move the handle bars from stop to stop. First slowly and then as fast as you can. If there is no difference in feel it is shot. Mine is fine but it never did squat to the head shake when I had it. Don't think it was intended to stop that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts