BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might be in the minority in this category, but I have never named any of my bikes, nor my cars or trucks. My Dad did not do this either, and I got alot of my habits from him. Since 1976, I have owned approx. 8 bikes and a few dozen vehicles; owning one bike for over 10 years, and a particular Mustang for 30 ! They have always been just "The Car" or "The Bike" or The Beemer - while working on them or riding. So, what's in a name ? I guess for me, names belong to my family members. Well, I thought this would be better than starting another oil thread for 2015 :rolleyes: Happy Safe New Year

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Hummm, I wish I had a clear intelligent answer for you but I don't. :)

I just think it's neat, catchy, interesting, I'm not even sure of the terminology.

Black beauty just seemed appropriate for the big black LT!!!

Happy new year!!! :wave

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I have found that if you have a few vehicles like me, you tend to name them, I have 3 cars and 3 bikes I will go out the door and say "I am heading out in the Datto" the wifes knows which vehicle I am going out in. ( my 260Z) she dresses accordingly.
but that's me

·
Registered
506 Posts
Only vehicle I named was my dad's car that I started our driving. Named it Christine...because that car was possessed! Have two LT's in the garage and they are just "the 2003" or "the 2005".

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I have never named any vehicles. Ever.

My wife has always named hers; not sure why. When I plunk down "our" money on a bike, her part of the deal is "she gets to name it"... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
375 Posts
My first LT was allways the fat one in German "die Dicke".
And my second now is Francisca because I bought her near to San Francisco.
But it doesnt' mean anything else.

Manfred

·
IBR# 366
16,569 Posts
I guess for me, names belong to my family members.
And I think you just answered your own question . . . :)

My wife dubbed my LT "The Mistress" because of the amount of time I spent riding it, working on it, talking about it online, etc.

That name has kinda stuck with each successive bike along the way.

Some people see a bike as simple transportation, as merely a collection of metal, rubber, and oil that serves a specific purpose. They tend to refer to bikes by the year, or the model number, or some other accurate yet mundane descriptor.

Others see it as a fun way to spend an afternoon enjoying the local scenery, or a long weekend exploring nearby states, or finally setting off on that epic journey to some far-flung exotic destination. They tend to give their bikes more personal names, in an attempt to capture the soul or essence of the ride.

I fall somewhere in the middle. The rider in me appreciates the overall feel and responsiveness of a well-tuned machine, the engineer in me enjoys knowing exactly how all these independent pieces come together to create the whole, and the poet in me revels in the experience of being transported through time and space in an exhilarating and visceral manner.

And yet, I learned long ago that it's not any one particular bike that captures my imagination, but more the fact of having any bike available, as long as it satisfies my current needs and desires. So I tend to get less attached to a specific bike but I will always have a bike in the garage, waiting for the next opportunity to turn dead dinosaurs into kinetic joy with a simple twist of the right wrist. :bike:

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
That's what I meant to say!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts