BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

What's Dragging???

1K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  MikeERideWNC 
#1 ·
Another Newbee question:
From time to time when cornering I scrape something on the bottom. I think it may be the centerstand? I have scraped the peg but this is different. For instance when gassing it into a corner two up and hitting a bump something scrapes the pavement. I thought maybe the rear shock was not firm enough so I cranked down the adjustment under the seat almost all the way. Maybe I'm confused and this is not what this adjustment knob it used for?
Is this normal? And if so is there a way to prevent it? Does the rear tire being worn down and needing replacing add to this?
Thank you for any and all input here,
Hip

#2 ·
hip001 said:
Another Newbee question:
From time to time when cornering I scrape something on the bottom. I think it may be the centerstand? I have scraped the peg but this is different. For instance when gassing it into a corner two up and hitting a bump something scrapes the pavement. I thought maybe the rear shock was not firm enough so I cranked down the adjustment under the seat almost all the way. Maybe I'm confused and this is not what this adjustment knob it used for?
Is this normal? And if so is there a way to prevent it? Does the rear tire being worn down and needing replacing add to this?
Thank you for any and all input here,
Hip
'Prolly' the centerstand feet. Some folks have sliced off a leetle bit of the rubber stopper in the centerstand bracket; allows for just a bit more road clearance.

#3 ·
The knob you adjusted is the preload. Try cranking it all the way out to the lowest setting. Then turn it in again and see where you first start feeling resistance. If there is no resistance for more than a few clicks, you need to add oil the the knob. I was scraping mine real bad and tore a lot of plastic untill I refilled mine. It makes a world of a difference.
http://members.cox.net/slartidbartfast/bmwfix/shock-oil/shock-oil.htm

#4 ·
Thank you Dick and Iron,
I gotta take a closer look at it. Not sure on the preload adjustment. I'm not sure where you're talking about feeling resistance? On the seat on in the adjusting knob. If it's the knob you're talking about then there is no resistance felt at all. Could this cause a rear end sag because I've noticed it seems to be getting harder to pull it up on the centerstand. About strained my milk the last time! BTW: the link did not work from this computer. I'll try it from home.
Thanks,
Hip

#6 ·
Can the filling of the pre-load knob that is shown be used on the ohlins?

#7 ·
Will the rear shock being low on oil cause it to ride hard too?

#9 ·
6'3" 225# is one up. but we had it fully loaded riding two up the last time it scraped. Maybe 400# total with us and the gear.

#11 ·
Ranger6,
I'm on limited budget. What will that cost? Is that front and rear or just rear?
Also I'm looking into more comfort for distance riding so a new seat is a consideration too. I have a Sheep skin Gel pad but that is still not a perminate fix.
Thanks,
Hip

#13 · (Edited)
Neil is right. Adding oil to the adjuster is your first step then to try and get the most out of the shocks you have now. Sounds as if you are bottoming out on the suspension travel most of the time. Note: this is not just any oil.

#14 ·
I think that is the route I'll look into. I ride it pretty mildly. The Ohlins sound impressive but might not get $1300 appreciation by my riding style.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.