BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the bike out of the garage today, just to warm the engine as she sat on the drive. I know she can move forward and off the side stand, so I made sure she was facing uphill a bit.
On a cold day like today and without having been started for a few weeks, she is prone to stall, so I kept an ear open while I pottered about doing other things.
Was plesently surptised to hear she didn't stall, but when I got back to her to pop her into the garage...........UH? How did THAT happen?
She was halfway down the drive, both wheels in the air, almost upside-down!!! Engine purring politely. (for those who know my drive - she was parked by the garage when I left her and was almost by the gate when I got back!!)
There was a long scape in the tarmac (ash-felt?) and the bike was seat side facing downhill. She must have started slipping backwards, turned and flipped over hard and possibly continued sliding for a while.
Devil of a job getting her tire side down,
Damage - scraped back box, side box, bumpers and worst - broken mirror housing.
All in all, I think I got off quite lightly. If she had left the drive, there are some very hefty bolders she could have ruptured herself on - worse still, she could have entered the sesspit!

Lessons learnt:
  • She can fall backwards as well as forwards (will use something on the brake leaver in future)
  • She don't have a tip over engine kill sensor like my ST1100

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
Ouch! Sorry to hear about damage, but thanks for the tip. One acccident, hopefully, others can avoid.

Jer

·
Registered
492 Posts
sorry to hear that rick knowing your drive i would't have thought it posssible that that could have happend either.It sounds like it nearly got to the road.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Pictures, we needed Pictures.

Just pat her gentle on her rear end and say Ahh! I'm sure she will be fine.

Anyway, this is the driveway. It is quite a slope which doesn't come across too well in the picture.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
wow, I would have never guessed that could happen. A front brake bungee or something would probably stop it as you suggest, but I would never guess it could slip backwards against the side stand. Thanks for the tip, something else to watch out for.

Jim H.

·
Registered
989 Posts
How!??

OK, I am not too clear on how the bike ran away.

Did the vibration cause it to "walk" on the stand? Did it rotate around the stand?

Can you elaborate?

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As I say, I wasn't watching it, I know where I left her and I know where I found her. I am guessing the vibration started her to move backwards, downhill. There is not a lot of weight on the stand and with a mixture of vibrations and wet drive, I can see moving backwards would be possible. When it got a bit steeper the bike may not have continued backwards straight or maybe the sidestand got stuck on something, the bike turned so the sidestand was on the uphill side, so went over - highside. and possibly slid some more.
If I had lived anywhere but here, I would have thought someone was trying to steal her - but no way would that happen here.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
It would seem that if the bike was pointing uphill and the handlebars were turned hard left it wouldn't have to roll too far before the sidestand would be above the bike. Add the slope of the hill and down sheakd go.

I have a downhill slope from the garage to the street. I once left the remote for the garage door opener in the garage and tried to leave her idling on the slope. I climbed off and she immediately started to roll toward the street. I had to shut her down and leave it in gear to get the opener.

As I think about it even if the handlebars were nearly straight as it rolled back the handlebars would likely fall off one way or the other..

Sure sorry to hear of your misfortune. Any chance there could be any engine damage from running in the layed over position? Don't think they put inverted oil systems in these bikes like they put in aerobatic planes. I sure hope not.

Loren

·
Registered
577 Posts
To prevent the above from happening, could most likely be one of the reasons it is suggested in the operating guide not to leave the engine running. start engine and drive off is what the delivery info was. In colder weather the beast does need to warm up for easier shifting and on cooler mornings or nights I just go a while in second gear and bike warms up in a little over a mile of travel.

and for the record I also know she will travel on the center stand (fall off and over) on a very slight incline and end up on her side. I really do like the built in protection provided by the very caring BMW engineers and design section of this Company.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I must say, that's a nice pad you have there, Cookie.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Richard,

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Tried to PM you but your box is full. How did the Strongback work out for you?

·
Premium Member
3,138 Posts
Cookie thank you for sharing your painful experience. I for one would have never thought it could bounce idle on the side stand. I have never done that as warm ups are on the center stand.

Hope you get her squared away without a whole lot of pain.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Bad Luck on that one C00k1e, I know you are so careful on your drive, never thought something like that would happen,

now i know what to get you for xmas, "duck Tape" :histerica (sorry, but could have been far worse )

But i think i could get the stupid medal, pushing mine out of the shed last month, I forgot to take the chain lock off the front wheel, "CLUNK" opps!!!
I had to remove the brake calipers to get the chain off only to find flued dripping from the joint, oh shit!!!
I thought, new pipe, bleed the system... big job, but i was lucky to get away with just tightening up the bolt, Thankfully.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I did the same thing once though the wind pushed her uphill and off the side stand ..... uphill.... and she didn't keep running.... she died ..... didn't go far though...

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bear, you have all the luck - the day you 'went for it' getting your LT up my bike lift and landed on the work top - that could have been a real bad day. That work top was held up by one old pipe, and the work top props up all my tools on the wall board (many sharp tools!).
Damage - one small chip out of the work top! Now that is luck.

·
Registered
148 Posts
c00k1e said:
Bear, you have all the luck - the day you 'went for it' getting your LT up my bike lift and landed on the work top - that could have been a real bad day. That work top was held up by one old pipe, and the work top props up all my tools on the wall board (many sharp tools!).
Damage - one small chip out of the work top! Now that is luck.
That was a day.... But we were cool!!!!

The way that sounds, “went for it” “landed on the worktop” that will get there mind thinking,
You just had to be there!
Not so much luck, but your brilliant engineering ?...

Hope you both have a lovely Christmas & will get down to see you after new year,
(with some duck tape. Lol x)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts