BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a minor breakdown today the shift linkage ball broke lucky for me I carry tools so I took it apart,put it in 2nd gear and road it to a safe spot to work on it. I used 2 zipties to hold the ball in place and was able to ride around 50 miles home shifting in all gears till the last 8 miles or so when the ziptie broke but I was in 3rd gear and made it home. Long story short I need the upgraded shift linkage ,was told it was made by Phil johns but have had no luck searching for it. If some one knows the link please post it for me. Thanks in adavance :D

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
Dean_BMW said:
The latest contact info I could find for him can be found in by using the link below. Not sure if it is still accurate.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=78171#post78171
I contacted Phil (philjohn) by PM in April and ordered his kit. This was message then:

"I'm out of stock on linkages for '05 and '06 LTs but I have linkages for all the bikes prior to those years. It's a bolt in replacement linkage that is 50-70% stronger and it comes with a left hand drill bit and an Easy Out to remove the broken stud should that happen as it it on mine on my first ride! Kit costs $52.00"

·
8,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys I knew I could count on y'all. Sent Phill a PM. Thankfully Lonestar (local BMW dealer) had a ball stud in stock so I got Lola back on the road. I will replace old linkage with the new one and keep the old as a backup :D

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
PhilJohn said:
Shift Linkage Replacement Kit
I've got a bolt in replacement that is 50% stronger. The kit includes a left hand drill bit, an Easy Out, and the new linkage. I sell the linkage only for $40.00 and the entire kit for $52.00 delivered to your front door via Priority Mail. A personal check is fine.

Phil W. Johnston
5519 147th Avenue NE
Forest River, ND 58233
Here's the email address I have for Phil: [email protected]

Also, I have a new one of his linkage kits for my '00, if it will not fit my '05, I will be happy to sell it to you, Steve, for my cost. $52, plus whatever it takes to get to you. Let me know.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
katnapinn said:
Thanks guys I knew I could count on y'all. Sent Phill a PM. Thankfully Lonestar (local BMW dealer) had a ball stud in stock so I got Lola back on the road. I will replace old linkage with the new one and keep the old as a backup :D
If you want to meet somewhere for lunch tomorrow, Steve, I could bring you the ball or the PhilJohn kit I have. Yes, I understand it won't be on Lola. Just let me know how I can help.

·
8,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
deputy5211 said:
If you want to meet somewhere for lunch tomorrow, Steve, I could bring you the ball or the PhilJohn kit I have. Yes, I understand it won't be on Lola. Just let me know how I can help.
Thanks brother from a differant mother. PM sent and Lola is up and running I just want the new system and will keep the old for a backup

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,157 Posts
Phil shipped me a new linkage kit for my 05 a couple of weeks ago, so I would assume he now has all the needed parts.
I used his kits on my 99 after the original linkage broke, then as a preventive measure on my 03, and the latest also as a preventive measure will be installed on my 05.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
Pics included

PMitchell said:
I contacted Phil (philjohn) by PM in April and ordered his kit. This was message then:

"I'm out of stock on linkages for '05 and '06 LTs but I have linkages for all the bikes prior to those years. It's a bolt in replacement linkage that is 50-70% stronger and it comes with a left hand drill bit and an Easy Out to remove the broken stud should that happen as it it on mine on my first ride! Kit costs $52.00"
This is what I got! :bmw:

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts