BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying a new to me LT. For several reasons I want to stay with the non-servo ABSII. I had a 2000 and I liked it, I did not care as much for the 2003 I rode that had the servo ABS.
I know that they had ABSII in 1999-2001, but what about 2002? Was it a half year change or not? If it was a half year change, any idea what VIN would be the cut off? I am looking for bikes both local and out of state due to the limited number of LTs listed. I want to know if I should pass on the bike before getting mentally invested and arrive only to find out it is not ABSII.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I am looking at buying a new to me LT. For several reasons I want to stay with the non-servo ABSII. I had a 2000 and I liked it, I did not care as much for the 2003 I rode that had the servo ABS.
I know that they had ABSII in 1999-2001, but what about 2002? Was it a half year change or not? If it was a half year change, any idea what VIN would be the cut off? I am looking for bikes both local and out of state due to the limited number of LTs listed. I want to know if I should pass on the bike before getting mentally invested and arrive only to find out it is not ABSII.
You need to stay with 1999 to 2001 included for a USA market K1200LT. Europe and Canada got the Servos iABS models earlier - starting in 2001. HOWEVER, in the USA these started in 2002 or later.

I have heard rumour of some late 2001 with servos in USA - SO TO BE 100% sure, you ask for a photo of the front brake calipers - the older / simpler ABSII models have "BREMBO" stamped on both Front Calipers (with logo). The later models with servos have "BMW" marking (see attached photo...).

Of course, once you are on-site, the noisy servos can be heard with method: "Key ON , do not start engine , press either brake". The ABSII models do not make this "electric motor" noise.

Attachments

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You need to stay with 1999 to 2001 included for a USA market K1200LT. Europe and Canada got the Servos iABS models earlier - starting in 2001. HOWEVER, in the USA these started in 2002 or later.

I have heard rumour of some late 2001 with servos in USA - SO TO BE 100% sure, you ask for a photo of the front brake calipers - the older / simpler ABSII models have "BREMBO" stamped on both Front Calipers (with logo). The later models with servos have "BMW" marking (see attached photo...).

Of course, once you are on-site, the noisy servos can be heard with method: "Key ON , do not start engine , press either brake". The ABSII models do not make this "electric motor" noise.
Thank you, I forgot about the BMW vs. Brembo on the calipers. This should help as I can zoom in on the pictures most of the time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts