BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to sell my2002 LTC in a month. It has 19,800 miles, lots of extras, Rick Mayer seat and all services/paperwork.
Not looking for a buyer now, but a question for you.

Just what would you, as a prospective buyer, look for/at on a used bike? Mine has some scratches on the usual spots where it falls off the %#@*&$$ kickstand, but other than that, it's green and great. I'm thinking in the $12,500 neighborhood.

I have no ego, so be as real with your comments as you wish.

I'm buying a K1200GT.
Why?
'Cause I'm 61.
'Cause it's much lighter.
'Cause 152 hp.

Oh - I'm in Northern Nevada - too much snow on the ground to try to sell anything right now except sleds or hot buttered rum.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I'm new to the LT world, just brought an 02 LTC off this board. Not sure what you mean by lots of extras, but with most bikes, the extras usually don't get you more money, they just help the sale go a little quicker. I'd sell off the extras and return it to the LTC original condition and try to get close to retail (kbb or nada can give you an idea), currently around $11,000. If speed is an issue, you can usually get around 90% of retail off an ebay sale.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
tarheel_rider said:
I'm new to the LT world, just brought an 02 LTC off this board. Not sure what you mean by lots of extras, but with most bikes, the extras usually don't get you more money, they just help the sale go a little quicker. I'd sell off the extras and return it to the LTC original condition and try to get close to retail (kbb or nada can give you an idea), currently around $11,000. If speed is an issue, you can usually get around 90% of retail off an ebay sale.
i agree. the closer to stock you can get it, the easier it will be to sell. nice features to you might not be desirable to someone else.

the rick meyer seat, for instance. you'd be a lot better off selling that to me and putting the stock seat back on. LOL!

kidding aside ... i'd seriously return the bike to original condition and shine it up as best you can so that it looks like new.

when i evaluate a used bike i always check:

- the color of the engine oil (dirty or has it been changed recently)
- brake pads
- tires
- brake fluid color
- rust spots on paint or chrome from being left in the rain

in other words i'm looking for evidence that the bike has been loved. if it has not been well maintained then there is a higher likelihood i will have trouble with it.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I'd take the morrors off and check the innards to see if they are cracked. A crack in the housing of the plastic inside by the ball joints could be an expensive replacement or a nagging fix....

another costly thing i'd check at purchase is exhaust noise or other crack in the exhaust system.

good luck

·
Registered
749 Posts
I would ask that $12K or so then negotiate with a buyer. Just let them know up front you are willing to negotiate.

I bought an absolutely pristine '02 LT off this list last summer for $11K. It was loaded up with GPS, j-pegs, CB, auto-com, etc. 5700 miles! That was his asking price which I thought was very fair.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I just bought a flawless 03 with 17,500 for 9,500 - good deal I know but I would think that 10,500 would be closer for yours based on what I've seen.

poprivit said:
I'm going to sell my2002 LTC in a month. It has 19,800 miles, lots of extras, Rick Mayer seat and all services/paperwork.
Not looking for a buyer now, but a question for you.

Just what would you, as a prospective buyer, look for/at on a used bike? Mine has some scratches on the usual spots where it falls off the %#@*&$$ kickstand, but other than that, it's green and great. I'm thinking in the $12,500 neighborhood.

I have no ego, so be as real with your comments as you wish.

I'm buying a K1200GT.
Why?
'Cause I'm 61.
'Cause it's much lighter.
'Cause 152 hp.

Oh - I'm in Northern Nevada - too much snow on the ground to try to sell anything right now except sleds or hot buttered rum.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts