BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The City is going to charge me $55 to drive a police car to work and home. My wife's a cop too. So for $110 can I get a good used or new motorcycle???? hmmmmmmmmmm What would you do??

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
$55 a day, per week, per month, per year. Time frame kind makes a difference in the decision.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
So, your gona ride the new/used bike to work and the wife is gona walk? Or maybe you both work the same shift and you'll ride 2 up?
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

·
Registered
6 Posts
gonna ride a bike rain or shine to work?two up?

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
Sounds like maybe the city needed to charge you to allow personal use of the car without getting into IRS trouble? Or, was it just a city revenue thing?

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I know the sales guys with company cars have to claim a certain amount of $$ for personal use of the cars. Seems you should be able to drive your personal vehical to and from and use the police car for work only.

I'm sure some bean counter figured there is a cost in using the police car for communting.

Or maybe they just "hate cops" :)

Joe

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
motorman587 said:
The City is going to charge me $55 to drive a police car to work and home. My wife's a cop too. So for $110 can I get a good used or new motorcycle???? hmmmmmmmmmm What would you do??
$55 a week/ month/ day?

With the price of gas going up it might be worth it.

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
motorman587 said:
$110 per month I'm guessing??

That's crazy cheap. They're paying for maintenance, tires, insurance, fuel etc?? Even if it's $110 a week you can't buy, insure and maintain TWO vehicles for that.

If my boss offered me a company vehicle for terms like that I'd be all over it....

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry, it would be $55 per person per month. Compute is 12-13 miles from the station. No the wife I work different shifts.

Thought about this also I would have to add an extra 1/2 hour to my day. I would have to be at the station loading up at 630A vs. being in the city limits at 630A.

I guess what gets me is they took our cell phones about a year ago. I use my cell a lot to call back victims etc..........My phone my mintues. Sure I would not have to go the extra to treat people right, but it should not be with my money.

Will stop bitc&ing............lol guess $55 not a bad deal.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Our Dept. still allows us a take home our cars,but at $55 a month it would be worth the time savings alone to me.Get in the car at home and be 10-8 !

My Dept. too expect us to use our cell minutes to call victims and at times I do ,but not always. It's my minutes,but at times you are just too busy to go into the station to save your minutes and instead use your minutes to save time.

Seems everyone is suffering from cutbacks.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Monday morning, I'm marching into the school district's Superintendent's office and I'm going to ask him if he'll provide me with transportation for $55/mo to get back-n-forth to work ... oh, and pay for all of the maintenance and gas. (I only live 4.7 miles from work.) As a bargaining chip, I'll offer to pay for the cell phone that they let me use. I'll report back later... :rolleyes:

Don't look this gift horse in the mouth John. It's a sweet deal. :)

Daaron said:
Seems everyone is suffering from cutbacks.
Suffering? Really? :D

·
Registered
89 Posts
Our son is a Florida cop and has the option of a free take home car. The department sees this as a good deal because the presence of a cop car driving/parked in a neighborhood is a crime deterrent. Also, while in the car, even if not on duty, he is required to deal with any situations he comes across. Not sure how the IRS deals with the tax implications.

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
remphoto said:
Our son is a Florida cop and has the option of a free take home car. The department sees this as a good deal because the presence of a cop car driving/parked in a neighborhood is a crime deterrent. Also, while in the car, even if not on duty, he is required to deal with any situations he comes across. Not sure how the IRS deals with the tax implications.
If he's technically "on call" and required to work if he has the car there shouldn't be any tax liability.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
messenger13_ver2 said:
Monday morning, I'm marching into the school district's Superintendent's office and I'm going to ask him if he'll provide me with transportation for $55/mo to get back-n-forth to work ... oh, and pay for all of the maintenance and gas. (I only live 4.7 miles from work.) As a bargaining chip, I'll offer to pay for the cell phone that they let me use. I'll report back later... :rolleyes:

Don't look this gift horse in the mouth John. It's a sweet deal. :)

Suffering? Really? :D

Just asked what you would do??? :) Now would you use that car to transport kids too?? I see school buses parked a t peoples houses, I wonder if they have to pay?? And the cell phone, you are correct, I should not use it, and just make dispatch do it. It is also my convenience.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
motorman587 said:
Just asked what you would do??? :) Now would you use that car to transport kids too??
That's easy to answer. No. My wife and I both work at the same district where our kids go to school and they RIDE THE BUS. They could ride with us now, but the wife and I are old skool ... kids should ride the bus. Period.

As for buses parked at houses ... not in our district. The bus drivers drive into work, drive their bus routes, then drive back home in their own vehicles. I can't understand why other districts would do this any other way. :confused:

Getting back to the original question though ... there was a time when an employer let me drive a company vehicle to and from work, scot-free. Yes that was AWESOME! But I would've paid $55/mo gladly, as well. :) (That's what I would do. ;) )

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
ronk1200lt said:
Just think how much you will save on speeding tickets in a cop car vs a motorbike.
Silly rabbit! LEOs don't get tickets no matter what they're in/on. ;)

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
messenger13_ver2 said:
Silly rabbit! LEOs don't get tickets no matter what they're in/on. ;)
Wish that was true.......but it's not. Nebraska Trooper giving me a performance award...$240

Attachments

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
motorman587 said:
Wish that was true.......but it's not. Nebraska Trooper giving me a performance award...$240
That's what you get for roaming so far away from home base. ;)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts