BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
13,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I talked to Hank at Rhinewest today and the parts cost are starting to move into totalled range. Well, seeings how age and mileage only make her worth 4 grand. Hell, the farkles are worth more than the bike.

We're talking brackets in the nose cone, front master cylinder and lines, main right front panel, lower, handlebar, nose cone top shield, windshield motor assembly, lower right panel, rear brake pedal, air wing on top cone, adjustable air wing, right saddle bag, tip over wing and assemblies and other odds and ends.

I'm purdy sure they'll total her.

I'm thinking of buying her back (if and prolly when), the title won't be a salvage title, and fixing her.

What would you do? Y'all have seen the pix in my down, down, down post.
She's structurally sound, runs like a scalded ass ape. She's been paid for for a long time.

Would you buy an 06? Used?

I'm so confused. Also, a leetle whanged. I think I overdid it yesterday when Dick and I went to get her.

I also want to give Dick my utmost and profound thanks for all the help and for burning a day.

I can handle the physical pain, but now entering the region of emotional as a lady I've had a long running affair with may no longer be a pivotal point of my life.

What would y'all do?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
807 Posts
go new

Life's short Grif. Go new. You deserve it.

·
Registered
354 Posts
grifscoots said:
I talked to Hank at Rhinewest today and the parts cost are starting to move into totalled range. Well, seeings how age and mileage only make her worth 4 grand. Hell, the farkles are worth more than the bike.

We're talking brackets in the nose cone, front master cylinder and lines, main right front panel, lower, handlebar, nose cone top shield, windshield motor assembly, lower right panel, rear brake pedal, air wing on top cone, adjustable air wing, right saddle bag, tip over wing and assemblies and other odds and ends.

I'm purdy sure they'll total her.

I'm thinking of buying her back (if and prolly when), the title won't be a salvage title, and fixing her.

What would you do? Y'all have seen the pix in my down, down, down post.
She's structurally sound, runs like a scalded ass ape. She's been paid for for a long time.

Would you buy an 06? Used?

I'm so confused. Also, a leetle whanged. I think I overdid it yesterday when Dick and I went to get her.

I also want to give Dick my utmost and profound thanks for all the help and for burning a day.

I can handle the physical pain, but now entering the region of emotional as a lady I've had a long running affair with may no longer be a pivotal point of my life.

What would y'all do?
One of the best things about these 'ladies' is you can trade them in for younger faster models without any retribution (we all know what I mean). Get your farkles off the old girl, put them on a new/uesd '05 or '06 and enjoy the extra HP and center stand. The big guy upstairs is telling you to upgrade.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I would take the settlement and buy her back, with-out a doubt! If it did turn out to be a salvage job and I couldn't "put her back on the road" I would purchase another used one and be very happy to have a complete parts bike that I knew was well cared for. Can you imagine having a spare motor, tranny, rear-end, wheels, stereo, etc etc. Shit- I would be in heaven!
Maybe something good will come from your mis-fortune.

·
Bouncer
9,315 Posts
Get the '06. You already put in the "pain and effort", so you might as well go new.

But I still might keep the old gal and part her out. Man, that sounds so bad.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
I'd buy her back and fix her up nice and slow, taking my time and git r dun right.
So If I was to fix my old sweetheart up right and it was going to take some time - I'd buy a new and have two..... :D:D

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Griff: I would do both if possible. Rebuild her or use her for parts for another. I have thought of buying a wrecked bike just for parts.

first of all is dont get in a hurry, it will come to you and your decision will have no regrets.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Grif,

Over the past year I have very often wished I had bought back Bat Byke, and it suffered FAR worse damage in it's 80 MPH tumble down I-8.

I could have fixed it back up over time and probably had it running months ago.

I also wonder if I would have run into something that made that scenario more costly than feasable. The one thing that stopped me from pursuing if further is that I did not know exactly where the bike was (somewhere in Phoenix) and was worried about the frame tabs. Would have cost me about $1800 to buy back, so almost wish I had done it. If the frame tabs had been broken, I would have just welded them back.

Damn I miss that bike!

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
No question in my mind.

I'd bid a tearful farewell (and I'm serious about the tear--I've gotten pretty attached to "inanimate" objects at times, too) -- and then move on to a low miles '05 and start a wonderful new relationship.

The problem with the salvage buy-back/repair is, no matter how "perfect" you rebuild her, you will _always_ have a nagging doubt in the back of your head as to whether she's really "right." Every strange vibration, every odd noise, every little "squirm" in a corner will cause you to question, if only for an instant, whether it was caused by the accident. You'll never be "at peace" on her, and it will detract immensely from your enjoyment of riding. The old "death by a thousand cuts" theory.

Barbara was a special lady; you (and many of the rest of us) will remember her with extraordinary fondness. Time to grieve, let go, and start anew.

Feelin' deeply for ya, man.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
Even with plastic surgery Barbara will never be the same again...:(
And it will take time, patience, and you will most likely go over budget trying to fix her...:eek:
I know it's tough to get back into bike payments but maybe it was time...
Whether or not to buy it back from the insurance depends on how much garage space you have to spare... and on how realistic it is to try to fix her. Keeping her for spare? Nice concept, but usually you end up only using very few parts and are left with a carcass and parts that friends, not you, may need in the future. And if you buy an 05-06 some parts may not be interchangeable. Find out how much the insurance will sell her for.
If Barbara were a woman and dumped you, would you keep her in your garage and work on her instead or riding your new bride (05-06 model)???
Decisions... decisions!!!:confused:.
Glad you are OK from that nasty mishap though...!:thumb:

·
Registered
510 Posts
Life is too short, so do what is best for you

But there are some great deals on new 05's in some of the BMW dealerships. I stopped by my BMW dealer just before the holidays to schedule my 24,000 maintainance, clutch and brake system flush. About a $1000 dollars worth of service. I had a perfect running 03 LTE setup the way I wanted it with no intent on upgrading. Left the dealership with a new fully loaded 05 that was a really sweet deal. Only needed the Nav II and BMW Communication system and I got those at dealer cost. I also had them install my Ohlins that were rebuilt during the switch and my passenger floorboards. The additional horsepower and power centerstand are nice additions to an already great ride. Felt like I was saying bye to an old friend who never let me down. But I have absolutely no regrets and really glad I did it. Life is too short to have regrets, do what's best for you and enjoy the decision you make.

If you can cut a good deal on your totaled LT you may be able to part it out and recover your cost +plus. Just my opinion!

May we never find the end of the road!

Perry Ridgway

oknplm

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
Got the time?

Gee Grif,

If I had the time I would buy her back and fix her up and ride her one more year and sell her. I would test her out in that year and after answering all those "nagging questions" I would let her be someone else's affair, and I would'nt have to be wondering if she'll be lettin' myself or anyone else down. Just a little bit of time, and my .02.

You'll do what's right.

E

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I'm on my third LT since Aug. '01. My 1st '01 Pacific Blue had 46k when totaled. After 7 months, bought my second '00 Champagne and am now selling it with 56k miles. My third LT is Raffy's farkelized '04 in Night Black which I have owned since November. All were/are great bikes and have their own person-alities. Or maybe it's farkle-alities.:)
Get something new for you Grif. You deserve it. Keep your old LT too. You can probably get your money back in time and still help friends with parts when needed. Have your cake and eat it too.:cool:

I'm happy to here that you are able to consider getting a new LT so soon after the accident. You're doing better than many of us on this list that have totaled their LT's in the last few years. Look at it as a positive sign. And that your years of experience made it possible.:)

·
Registered
324 Posts
What to do?

Better to remember her in her prime fondly than to go forward tentatively on her resurrected remains.

A bold new lass to charge headlong into the future with. Way I see it anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
Buy an new one or one of the many '05s with low mileage, transfer the farkle that I want, sell the rest IMHO. I bought the '02 because I planned on keeping my Sprint and only riding the LT when I went with Cindy. But if it was my main ride I would want it young and fresh with all of the latest bells and whistles (that sounds harsh, but it is true :(). How long would you be without a ride with all of this great Texas weather? :)

·
Rider Journeyman
2,015 Posts
Hmmm..

Howdy Grif.

From your first post and this latest one, Barbara doesn't sound too bad. All cosmetic and non-structural... expensive new, not too bad used.

If I was spending the money of the other people who responded, then I'd go new. If I was spending yours or my money, I'd negotiate with the insurance agent up the market value and to lower the "buy back" price to increase my check.

Then I'd buy all the used replacement parts I needed. Then have a BIG 'OL TEXAS TECH SESSION (not football, you idiots :rolleyes: )

Ride her until the revised model comes out, then sell her.

Less of course, your loaded with cash, then buy a '06 and ride :)

·
Registered
13,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
467 Posts
grifscoots said:
What would y'all do?
If I may humbly suggest, it's time to move on. She's just an inanimate object.
HOWEVER, the experience you have gained because of this "object" is what you take with you. That, the friends, and the memories.

Good Luck my friend!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts