BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all!

I am new to the forum and considering joining the ranks of BMW owners. I have been riding the other brand (HD) for many years and frankly, I am bored with them!

I have demo' ed an LT and really like the handling, power, and extra's included with the bike from the factory. Read; heated seats and grips, power wind shield, reverse, ect...

Locally I have found two very nice LT's for sale:

1) 2005 with 40K miles for about 10 grand.

OR

2) 2000 with 24K miles and new tires for 8 grand.

The question being, besides the money is the higher mileage bike a better bet because it is newer? I am a bit concerned about the mileage.

Which would you choose??

Thanks to all!
HARFEND

·
Registered
92 Posts
Both bikes sound great. I love my '05 and I am about to turn 60,000mi. I hope it is still worth at least $10,000 but its not for sale. I guess overall maintenance would be most important between the two. Personally I would prefer the one that was ridden regularly and taken care properly. 15000mi shouldn't be a measurable difference between the bikes.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I'd go with the 05. More horsepower, digital dash, electric center stand. Plus the older bikes w little mileage can have problems w seals since they sit for long periods of times.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
While I would go for the 2005 I feel that both bikes are overpriced.
8 grand for a 2000? They must kidding!
And you can get a 2005 in the $8-9k with that kind of mileage, unless the bike has tons of extra, such a intercom, GPS, additional lights, etc..., or better yet - an extended warranty.
If I were you I would shop around a little before pulling the trigger.
We are still in the Winter months and you should be able to negotiate a better deal. JM2CW

·
Premium Member
1,490 Posts
Caveno said:
I'd go with the 05. More horsepower, digital dash, electric center stand. Plus the older bikes w little mileage can have problems w seals since they sit for long periods of times.
There is also a change to the rake of the front fork on the '05, which makes it handle better at slow speeds. All considered, I would probably go with the '05.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
zippy_gg said:
8 grand for a 2000? They must kidding!
Spot on.... Some people think they have gold, Good for them! I hope they all go at this price. this way I will actually make some on Barbara when I trade up. Like almost 3 grand! :histerica

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
All things considered either would be fine. The prices for both seem to be a little high. Don't let the more horsepower be a make or break deal for you either. I'm on my third, the first two were a '00 and '01, and the '05 and newer models were never able to pull away from me, and I tended to get better gas mileage overall. I'm not saying anything about the '02 I've just purchased because, I'm still doing the maintenance on it after it sat for a year and I'm not sure what my wrist will be doing as this bike has a Rhinewest chip and Rhemus exhaust. It could suffer big time in the mileage department. :D

OBTW, I purchased this one with 107,145 miles on the speedometer.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I agree with all of the above replies. I would add that the newer seat is less comfortable and you will more than likely end up buying an after-market replacement.

Before you finally put down your hard earned cash you need to decide how you're going to use the bike. It seems common case that LT's are unbeatable for two up touring, but if most of your riding is solo you'd be well advised to check out a R1200RT.

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
Harfend said:
Greetings all!

I am new to the forum and considering joining the ranks of BMW owners. I have been riding the other brand (HD) for many years and frankly, I am bored with them!

I have demo' ed an LT and really like the handling, power, and extra's included with the bike from the factory. Read; heated seats and grips, power wind shield, reverse, ect...

Locally I have found two very nice LT's for sale:

1) 2005 with 40K miles for about 10 grand.

OR

2) 2000 with 24K miles and new tires for 8 grand.

The question being, besides the money is the higher mileage bike a better bet because it is newer? I am a bit concerned about the mileage.

Which would you choose??

Thanks to all!
HARFEND

Mileage isn't an issue, 40K is just broken in on an LT. I don't think you could go wrong either way. Buying the 2000 gives you an extra $2k for farkles and such, which is an important part of the ownership process. ;)

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
I purchased an 05 LT in October 09, with a trailer by www.adventuresportsproducts.com

20K, with nav, floor boards, jpegs for 13,000.

Also have a 97 1100RT with 80 k on it. The LT is by far more comfortable, and the RT is more fun to ride.

Hope this helps, Chris

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
40K is just getting started so don't let the mileage get you.
But don't be afraid of the 24K 2000 either. I'm thinking $6500 unless it's got tons O' farkles.

I agree that a much better deal could be had on either of these bikes.

Shop some more......You'll get as good or better a bike at a better price.

The newer ones have Electric Center Stand, A little different rake. Maybe two more horsepower and a separate high/low beam...Not worth two grand.
The older ones get the best mileage....Pre 02's had a different gearing.

John

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to all for your input! I am taking the 05 for a spin tommorrow and I will see what the dealer is willing to do with the price.

Thanks again,

HARFEND

·
Registered
45 Posts
Either bike is good, but one is five years old and the other is ten, so you may be getting a better resale value with the '05 should you sell it in few years. The electric center stand on the '05 is definitely a plus. These bikes are heavy as hell and you don't want to park it on the side stand too long. In addition keep in mind that this is not a Harley where you have a side stand that locks when parked. If you park the LT with its front facing even slightly downhill, either on its center stand or the side stand, the bike could just roll down the hill on the smallest movement.

·
Registered
332 Posts
At speed in 5th gear, the 2000 will turn about 400 rpms less than the 2005, consequently, the '00 will get better mileage than the '05. Both bikes will get better mileage at higher elevations. Both bikes make around 85 lb/ft of torque, so, the additional horsepower in the '05 is moot unless you are constantly running 6000+ rpm (even then you probably won't notice any real difference). My '00 has a Rhinewest chip; I can pull away from a '05-and-newer model in a 5th gear roll-on against a rider of similar weight.

Both bikes are excellent choices. As others have said, the asking prices for both bikes are little high (but, I would not sell my '00 for $8K).

Many riders have 100K-200K on their LT's. I would not be the least bit concerned about 40K on an LT; they are liquid-cooled engines and will last much longer than an air-cooled engine before needing any major work.

Enjoy the decision process, you can't go wrong with either choice.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I am also new too as I just picked up an 05 with 8,500 miles for $9,300. The bike was your basic LT and had very few upgrades. I bought the bike as the price was great. To give you an idea of prices in the Philly area, LT's are running about $6,000 or so for a 2000 w/ 15,000 miles or a 99 for $4,000+ w/ 40,000 miles. Personally, do some investigation on Craig's list and ebay. You will get a handle on the prices around your area to help negociate the best deal.

Hope this helps. Just be smart on buying and be prepared to WALK if the price is too high. There is always a deal on motorcycles if you have cash in hand.

Glenn

·
Registered
224 Posts
Spend as much money as you have in the budget. Then figure another $2K to change things you learn to dislike. Certainly get the upgraded center-stand. They are good machines. I have about 23K on my 09 with no problems.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Then figure another $2K to change things you learn to dislike.
I love everything about my '05 except the stock seats. Just spent over $700 replacing them. Then if you need new tires, arm rests, etc., but you can't beat the electronic center stand.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts