BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been searching everywhere, but I cant seem to find a site or posting that shows the changes year on year for the LT?

Please direct me...

vern

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
Here are the major things that I recall -

99 - 01: basically the same, major service bulletins included radio replacement for draining battery and motronic replacement for different fuel map (the 'brown wire" fix for low speed hesitation in heat)

02 - 04: 5th gear changed to be more closer ratio to rest, servo assisted power braked and fully linked ABS added, 03 models seemed to be the end of rear drive failures

05 - present: engine modified to provide 16 hp increase, body restyle on nosecone, headlights, wide panels and trunklid, new dash and instrument cluster, modified steering geometry to aid low speed handling, starting with 06 models availability of HID headlights fromthe factory

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
cantex said:
the changes year on year for the LT?

Please direct me...

vern
one word:..........ok, two.......the price :D

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
cantex said:
I was looking for something like this while i was searching the goldwing.

http://www.txwingz.com/gwdisc.html
Compared to the Gold Wing the K1200LT is relatively unchanged over its lifespan. If you're looking for something that goes all the way back to the K100LT I wouldn't know where to ge that.

I guess my question is - What is your goal with this information? Are you trying to decide new vs used, available features, potential gotchas, etc., or is it a passing interest in motorcycle brand/model history? Tell us more about what you are trying to do and maybe we can provide more useful information.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've decided that I'm not going to buy new, so my next question is to figure out which year do I look for. But I dont know what was standard, and what options were available.
Is a 2004 for $13k, or a 2002 for $10k with the same mileage a better option.
I'm just trying to figure out was available for those bikes for those years.

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
Price notwithstanding, I've always been a proponent of newer is better. BMW is good about incrmental changes year to year to improve the bike (post 02 servo brakes aren't as grabby as 02, for instance). Regardless, you want to make sure the bike has received all scheduled service and maintenance, and you should ask to see the service records for everything that's been done (warranty work included). If they can't produce this stuff then I wou;dn't buy itno matter the price.

With that all being said,, for the 2 options you listed I would probably go for the 02 and save $3k for accessories and such, or a nice vacation on the bike.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts