BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if there is already a thread on this. Just wondering what tools are a must when traveling on the LT.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Before you think about "the list", consider this. Don't take any tools on the road that you don't use in your garage. Trying to use crappy tools on the side of the road sucks! Food for thought...

·
Registered
39 Posts
tire plug kit (for temporary repair only), tool kit that came with bike and a credit card.

Bob

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
weekendrider said:
tire plug kit (for temporary repair only), tool kit that came with bike and a credit card.

Bob
Are those tools hidden somewhere? Havnt really looked for them but havnt seen any tools.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
With my limited ability, the tools that came with my bike are sufficient. In addition, a pump that I have used,and a plug kit.

Some cash, a credit card along with the BMWON list of contacts.....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Add a 12 MM hex wrench to the kit for those pesky final drive removals.

BW

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
The only tools you'll ever need whilst out on the road are those that you've left back at home in your garage. :) (debit card & Phone excepted).

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,977 Posts
Both of my side cases are my metric tool boxes along with anything else I just might need.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,597 Posts
saddleman said:
Both of my side cases are my metric tool boxes along with anything else I just might need.
It might be cheaper to just buy a reliable motorcycle. :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
saddleman said:
You seriously carry all that??? If its that broke maybe the Glock 17 is a better idea to put it out of its misery. :)

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
saddleman said:

Dave is not kidding - I've seen um! He could rebuild an engine on the side of the road.... Ever need assistance don't bother with AAA, just call Dave.....

Dave has more tools on his bike than most have in their garage.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
DigDug68 said:
You seriously carry all that???
He sure does! The LT is top heavy. All those tools in the side cases balance it so well, he doesn't have to put his feet down when he stops! :histerica

·
Registered
260 Posts
saddleman said:

Wow... you must only ride one-up?

I have 1/3rd of one side and Mrs. RedTigre thinks I am getting paranoid. All weather/heated gear, factory tools and a complete metric allen/torx driver set often takes up one side only.

$200 cash for emergency tow where credit won't always work, and the indispensable VISA.

Wow...

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Saddleman, was looking at your pics. Do you tow that generator too? :)

I carry extra shift linkage, and the tools I've learned that I need to repair on the road: small vice grip pliers, small long-nosed vise grip pliers, 90 degree needle nose pliers and forcepts (which are great for reaching deep inside to grab stuff). On long rides I carry my cut-out 30MM socket and the other tools needed to get into the final drive. Don't plan on a roadside repair, but should I end up somewhere that it can be worked on, might as well have the tools.
Other than that, the regular tool kit, multi-headed screwdriver and torx type "screwdriver", and a couple of smaller open end adjustable wrenches. Also really like the socket driven alans and a small swivel head ratchet wrench. Zip ties and tape round out my kit.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,977 Posts
Voyager said:
It might be cheaper to just buy a reliable motorcycle. :)
I have all the confidence in the world in my LT. In the last 85,000 miles I have rode it I have only had to work on it twice on the road. Both times the tool kit that comes with the bike would have worked just fine (except I didn't get a tool kit with mine) :( . I have three options if one of my vehicles break down on the road. #1 fix it #2 tow it home or #3 sell it. I won't pay to have someone else do what I'm very capable of doing myself. I carry a lot more tools & parts than what you see when I'm on a trip. If anybody is ever broke down and I'm riding by I'll stop and do whatever I can to get you going again regardless of my schedule. :bike:

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I don't know how many LT riders do their own maintenance, but I do my own. My '02 has close to 80 thou on the odo and I have done all the service work. Except for Major failures.

I believe the secret is to do maintenance on your own bike. The reasons are simply:

*First, you learn about your ride, which may be helpful in South Dakota...
*2nd, I ONLY use tools I carry to work on the bike (On some jobs, yes I add more tools)
*3rd, BMW bikes have a TON of issues, you need to carry enough tools or enough money to deal with THAT FACT.
*Being able to fix the 'simply' things can really empower a rider.

Use a good manual, use the tools, use this site, practice knowing your bike!

We ride thousands of miles on 2 wheels. People wonder why? Its the freedom!! :dance: If you can't get along without routine dealer support, you should not be riding extra long distances!

Just my $ .02...YMMV

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
I carry the BMW toolkit (later bikes don't have the tool kit, available as an option), a few extra fuses, tire plugging tools, air pump. Also have a spare crownwheel bearing and seal for the final drive. (The bearing can be replaced without removing the FD from the bike so I don't carry the big socket for r/r of the drive itself).
And a credit card. There's way too much that can go wrong with this bike that you can't fix on the road.

Saddleman sets the standard for completeness of tool inventory on the road.
Here he is troubleshooting his bike in the far north of Vermont:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Tool kit that came with the bike plus a 6 and 8" adjustable wrench.

A sharp knife, iPhone, credit card and a Glock 23 with 3 extra mags.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts