BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to take a look at what appears to be a rear tranny seal leak. Aside from a 30mm socket with a window cut into it and a 12mm allen cut-in-two (that I of course do not have) what other tools am I gonna need to procure?

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Seems to be a plethora of seal leaks and/or clutch failures going on. Maybe it is just that I am more tuned in to these issues now that I am facing one myself.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
smahon said:
Getting ready to take a look at what appears to be a rear tranny seal leak. Aside from a 30mm socket with a window cut into it and a 12mm allen cut-in-two (that I of course do not have) what other tools am I gonna need to procure?
There is a good write-up in the technical document files for Slave-Weep hole drilling that lists the tools needed. (I did not write it,just posted it) You will be right there so it's a good time to drill that weep hole.

I can mail you the socket and wrench and drill bit if you like.

Dan Martin

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,781 Posts
Also if you want a walk through video you can down load the three Weep Hole videos in the sticky at the top of the page. You will need a sturdy 14mm socket to pull the swing arm pivots.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
It might be that these things are starting to get a little "long in the tooth". The 99's will be celebrating their 13th birthday this year.

Loren

deputy5211 said:
Seems to be a plethora of seal leaks and/or clutch failures going on. Maybe it is just that I am more tuned in to these issues now that I am facing one myself.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Could be, Loren, but my current LT is an '05 with about 30k on the clock.

·
Registered
676 Posts
deputy5211 said:
I wonder if there have been any chemical changes to the lubricants manufactured in the last few years that may be interacting with the seal materials used in the LT? Just a thought..

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,781 Posts
deputy5211 said:
Could be, Loren, but my current LT is an '05 with about 30k on the clock.
My 05 developed a rear output shaft seal leak @18K that was repaired under warranty. I have not replaced a single seal since but did have the engine output shaft o-ring weep a little oil on my worn out clutch @50K. I really believe I did it slipping the clutch too much when pulling a trailer cross country. I changed my methods then but I need another 25K to be sure the new technique is saving the clutch.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jzeiler said:
Also if you want a walk through video you can down load the three Weep Hole videos in the sticky at the top of the page. You will need a sturdy 14mm socket to pull the swing arm pivots.
Just watched the videos, Thanks John. Takes the mystique out of it but definately requires me to invest in a few more tools.

DanMartin said:
I can mail you the socket and wrench and drill bit if you like.
Dan, Awesome, thanks. Look for my pm. Let me know how much you spend on shipping and I will return that with the tools.:wave

BTW, mine is an '05 with only 24k on the clock. I am wondering if all these seals were made at the same time in '99 or earlier?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts