BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In early April I will be renting a new R1200RT to solidify this as the choice for my next bike purchase.

Over the past few years I have come to depend on my cell phone GPS and would like to use it while on the rental. Any recommendations on how the Droid X can be easily mounted on the rental for the day? Ideally, I would like to keep it powered while mounted.

I obviously will not need the GPS here in Hawaii. The bike will be rented in Las Vegas.

Thank you in advance for your help.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GRB60,

Forgive me if these appear to be silly questions. I have never owned a touring bike or had a need for a GPS on a motorcycle.

Are there simpler alternatives to a cam mount? If not, which mount would you suggest and does it come with the pieces needed to hold a phone? Hopefully it is one that is widely available to give me an opportunity to get it before the trip.

I am open to other suggestions as well. I was hoping there was something I could do with the tank/rails.

·
Premium Member
8,603 Posts
First I would see is the place you are renting the bike from has a GPS you can add to the bike. Next see if they offer any other options like Ram Mounts.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
katnapinn said:
First I would see is the place you are renting the bike from has a GPS you can add to the bike. Next see if they offer any other options like Ram Mounts.
Excellent recommendation, I will check today. Now that you brought this up I am confident they will have one or the other.

Thank you for looking out...

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tvguy said:
Talk to Kurt when you get to the dealership. He will set you up.
I have been working with Tom "Clay" so far, he is in the rental department and has been very helpful.

I presume Kurt also works in Rentals, is that accurate?

I do appreciate the suggestion.

·
Registered
285 Posts
In ref to your trial run with a rented RT...
In my experience it just keeps getting better the more you ride it. I have an old post somewhere where I say that I thought my RT got much better after 2,000 miles. Then I said "oh no, it's even better at 4K". And then .... well you get the point. Today I just turned 25,000 miles on my 2010 on the way to my mechanic for a new front tire and on my way back I just kept smiling and saying "what a nice ride!". Btw, the shop is 230 miles one way but that's part of the fun.

Just my $0.02,
tsp
Blog: www.swriding.blogspot.com
PS: My mechanic told me when I first got the bike that it would take 20,000 miles for the breakin. Sure feels like it! Btw, the Corbin took 4,000 miles to break in.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
tsperez,

I do recall the post you referenced. I found that there are others that feel the same away about the bike or experience getting better as more miles are accumulated. I really look forward to that experience.

By the way, I have been going through your blog. Good stories and better pictures. I Look forward to the future content.

Thank you for sharing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.