BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the front bridgestone on my 2009 LT go bad after 3,500 miles and the dealler got me a new one.

I prefer Metzlers so I ordered new Metzlers front and rear and now I have a New Front and a used rear tire that I do not want.

It seems hard to sell on ebay tires.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cfell said:
http://www.tirecrafting.com/

of course you can use to practice your "tire patching" also.. or use as a flower bed edging.
so CFell are you saying that you have a low opinion of Bridgestone tires?

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I lay my used tires flat, then bury them half way, and plant zuccini in them. Seriously.
I'm doing a study now, but initially it seems that Metzler produce more fruit, while Bridgestone seems to produce a better foliage. I'll know more after this next growing season. I only have one Michelin, but I used it on a different type of squash, so no real opinion to offer there.
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Burn em, makes nice black smoke, drives the "tree huggers" nuts :histerica

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
The neighbor kids love em...

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Looks like a CAGE tire Ted? Or do you run white walls on your Beemer? :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
Oh.. I liked the Stones.. so much I changed them along with the oil filter.

In light of the "low" mileage they yielded, I just wanted to give a chance for a useful contribution to society..

Car tires make okay tree swings, but my boys preferred the MC ones. The link I sent gives many options...creative options... decorative options... just say, "No, Honey, I'm not wearing out tires, I'm developing a gardening resource."

If you want to recycle, sometimes you can find a dumpster that they throw old tires for "recycling".... usually no one minds... they get $ for the tires...

One thing for sure, they hold in the "mulch" and water very well.

I am loving the Metz's... but have not ridden for 6 months.. and I trust they will be okay when I do...

Anyway.. in all seriousness... I wouldn't run Stones again.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
I like the Bridgestones and seriously have changed them with every oil change. New bike every 6K miles. :)

At 6K the front would be shot so I'd pay a disposal fee at the local waste management transfer station.

The rear would have a fair amount of wear left and it would be a shame to dispose of a tire with good miles left on it. I have been able to give the tire away to a local bike shop. The shop isn't a dealership but does repairs, service, and inspections. Occassionly some guy on a budget would come in to get a bike inspected but tire wouldn't pass inspection. The shop owner would give him my old tire, charge for mounting and inspection and send the biker off on good rubber.

If you have a "casual" shop like this you might be able to give the tires away. Or list them on Craigs list or eBay for the cost of shipping.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the links to the tire house projects.

I wasted a good 15 minutes reading and looking at the pictures.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
You're okay, Paul!!!

I figured anyone who had "Blue Dog" for an Avatar was gonna be kewl....

Well, now, if you are trying to decide, for real, how to dispose of the tire, I've cut 'em into sections and sprinkled through trash cans...anywhere they don't hold water which can breed mosquitos!

Seriously, I would try the "tire patch" method I like to use... that way you know how to achieve the best result when you are on the side of some God forsaken interstate with a flat.

Aside from that, not much else you can use the tires for.. and, BTW.. we must have lousy roads in Texas.. because the Stones only last me 3000 miles.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I pulled my Metz early due to an extended trip and age of the tire.
They now lay in the basement and it hurts me to look at them and realize there is still decent tread on them.
But... They are past aged, hard and have some cracking.

I best get rid of them before I foolishly put them back on the bike as a spare or money saver.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I paid $3 each to drop them off at an autoparts store.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
cfell said:
You're okay, Paul!!!

I figured anyone who had "Blue Dog" for an Avatar was gonna be kewl....
Yes, but that is THE Blue Dog. as in not just any blue dog... :dance:

·
Registered
607 Posts
Boatzo said:
I paid $3 each to drop them off at an autoparts store.

Our city dump has a tire recycling bin and costs nada...zip.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I ride my metzlers with ride-on installed until they are real slick, then I carefully slice them into strips and sell the resulting "jerky" by the pound on EBAY. I have a 100% feedback rating.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I sent you a PM yesterday. Perhaps we can work something out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts