BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy All:

I hope you are well.

I am on my weekend trip with my son out from Michigan to Maine and my LT seems to have died. I stopped at the local BMW dealer and have been told that the transmission is gone and about $5k to replace.

So we have rented a car and are heading home.

What do I do with the bike though? It has been a great bike, a 2000 custom with 95k. Do I ship it home and part it out? Do I ask the dealer if they would give me anything for it? Do I post an ad on forums to see if anyone in Maine is interested in it?

I would appreciate any thoughts. I am not really sure.

I guess I get to get a new LT when they come out.

Best regards, tony
Northville, MI

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
If it was me, I would put a used transmission in it and enjoy the next 95,000 plus miles.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Greetings Tony.

This is a real easy one my friend.

Find yourself a good second hand transmission and fit it. Easy hey!

Come on...go for it. You know you want to.

Cheers and kindest regards

Paul Harrington
Australia

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
Yeppir, Tony - what David said. That bike wuz the star of the first of many CCR tech sessions, if I remember right, and a fitted transmission, in good shape, would be my suggestion also. Might take a little digging around to find one and get it fitted, but worth doing in my book. A rental trailer to fetch it home is your first priority. Depending on how fast everything goes, you still should have a nice remainder of the riding season up 'nawth'.

Best of luck, Tony.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,172 Posts
Is it the transmission or the final drive, or the clutch? Transmission rarely fail on the LT, although I guess it can happen.
Who is the dealer who gave you the diagnostic?

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
If I was you, I would ship it to MY shop and then I would put you a used tranny in at no charge (you pay parts only). ;) Now...how u gonna bea that offer?????

·
Registered
98 Posts
If I was you, I would ship it to MY shop and then I would put you a used tranny in at no charge (you pay parts only). Now...how u gonna bea that offer?????

Man, what an offer! That should get you another 90K at a very good price.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Take it to Pastor Jack, quick!!!!!!

God Bless!

·
Registered
794 Posts
cccpastorjack said:
If I was you, I would ship it to MY shop and then I would put you a used tranny in at no charge (you pay parts only). ;) Now...how u gonna bea that offer?????
As a pastor, you should know the saying, "No good deed goes unpunished."

I personally would part that thing out and put each and every little piece on eBay...
Then take my profits and buy another bike.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
zippy_gg said:
Is it the transmission or the final drive, or the clutch? Transmission rarely fail on the LT, although I guess it can happen.
Who is the dealer who gave you the diagnostic?
The dealer was Street Cycles in Fallmouth Maine. Maine's only BMW dealer.

Best regards, tony
Northville, MI

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cccpastorjack said:
WOW, I mean WOW.

I really do not know what to say Pastor Jack. I know this is an incredible community but I never expected an offer like that. I will send you a PM so we can talk further.

Again Wow and thank you so much for the kindness. This really is an incredible offer. and everyone seems to agree that it is a little early to let the bike go.

Best regards, tony
Northville, MI

·
Registered
371 Posts
Get a bigger trailer then check out eBay Motors, Item number: 200369473498

2001, 7k miles, ends in 4 hours, currently at 1200 beans, not too terribly busted-up.

By the time you parted the rest of it, you'd be way ahead. Let alone getting a drivetrain with such low mileage.

If you're not the adventurous type surely pass on that dealership fix. $5k on a bike with your mileage....dunno.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
I'd replace the transmission if it was mine. I'd love to tear into one of those. I haven't rebuilt a manual trans since I was in the Navy and twisted the mainshaft off in the yoke on my 63 Ford Falcon Futura. And that bike on Ebay is well worth $1200! I'd jump on a deal like that if it was closer. The running gear on a low mileage LT has got to be worth at least $5,000......... :eek:

·
Registered
622 Posts
:clapping: Another happy ending! And another LT is saved from the scrap heap! :bike:

What an offer. I think he just misses his LT :toast:

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
tony said:
Howdy All:

I hope you are well.

I am on my weekend trip with my son out from Michigan to Maine and my LT seems to have died. I stopped at the local BMW dealer and have been told that the transmission is gone and about $5k to replace.

So we have rented a car and are heading home.

What do I do with the bike though? It has been a great bike, a 2000 custom with 95k. Do I ship it home and part it out? Do I ask the dealer if they would give me anything for it? Do I post an ad on forums to see if anyone in Maine is interested in it?

I would appreciate any thoughts. I am not really sure.

I guess I get to get a new LT when they come out.

Best regards, tony
Northville, MI

Tony, is the bike at Street Cycles? and, if Fred looked it over and let you know the trans was toast, take it to the bank. He is good people, and will go out of his way to help out a fellow biker.

If Katie wants $$ for storage, have her call me and I can load it on my trailer and garage it for you until you can come pick it up. I am less than 30 minutes away.

call my cell if you need any more information: 207-653-3349

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Pastor Jack,

Any way a fella could could get an anticipatory raincheck lined up so that if major troubles are realized down the road I could take mine to your shop?

An incredible gesture. Warms my heart.

Thanks man,

Loren

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have 96 VW TDI that I love. Other cars have come and gone, but I wont part with my VW. She is a lobor of love and I wouldn't have it any other way!
If you love your LT, then it's a no-brainer!
Fix it!
She will make you smile again!

----------------------------------------------
04' K1200LT
07' K1200GT

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,172 Posts
Here is another transmission on eBay; Item 390070981624 w/70k miles on it, for $777.00 or make offer.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
mconlogue said:
Tony, is the bike at Street Cycles? and, if Fred looked it over and let you know the trans was toast, take it to the bank. He is good people, and will go out of his way to help out a fellow biker.

If Katie wants $$ for storage, have her call me and I can load it on my trailer and garage it for you until you can come pick it up. I am less than 30 minutes away.

call my cell if you need any more information: 207-653-3349
Howdy Mark:

Thanks for your offer. I may need to take you up on it. I am waiting to hear back from Pastor Jack and hope things will work out with getting the bike to him.

As soon as I hear from him I will let you know.

Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts