BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riding down the road on a nice day, came to a stop and bam.. ABS lights started dancing. I've had this occur every so often, no rym or reason. The cure at this point is to turn the bike off, back on again and the lights disappear. Only thing I can contribute it to at this point is the squeal of the rear brake. Removed thh rear checked the pads and area, all looks good...

ABS sensor out of spec?
Possible larger unknown issue?
Thoughts?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Been there, done that. The brake fluid is just low enough that it flows to the front of the resevoir on braking then is just high enough to reset while stopped. Check your pads for wear. Mine were getting low when the light came on.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
It's a 'puter'...............some times ya' just need to 'Boot' it...............iduno...........?.......

:cool:

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
+1 on the low brake fluid. The rear reservoir is very touchy about the level. If the battery is on the way out that can cause it as well.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
The flashing ABS lights can't possibly be caused by low fluid. Steve's double naught, like mine, doesn't have fluid monitors in the reservoirs. A search for flashing ABS lights will display a list of threads, one detailing how to connect an analog test meter to the diagnostic connection under the seat, read the number of pulses of the indicator, and that will tell you what has caused the fault. If restarting clears the fault, it probably won't give a reading. If key off, key on doesn't reset the system, it should be able to read the fault.

Since restarting resets the system, sure could be a wheel sensor. The test meter will tell you front or rear.

·
Registered
446 Posts
He may also have a bad ABS releay. One under the front tupperware and then one in front of the ABS unit itself. That one runs about $120.00 and lots of dexterity to loosen the ABS unit and turn out to get to it.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
2Wheelroadtrip said:
Been there, done that. The brake fluid is just low enough that it flows to the front of the resevoir on braking then is just high enough to reset while stopped. Check your pads for wear. Mine were getting low when the light came on.
We're thinking along the same lines (scary) I have new pads on the shelf, I may just change to see what's what. Never had this issue though, so it just seems odd. I had a leak somewhere on teh front left caliper, pulled it appart, blead the brakes so the Dot-4 level is good. But will double check the rear..Thanks :D

Palerider said:
It's a 'puter'...............some times ya' just need to 'Boot' it...............iduno...........?.......

:cool:
Now this is the response I was waiting for....Almost like I responded myself.... :D My hats off to you sir! May I be lucky enough to return the sarcasim, SOON! :rotf:

DavidTaylor said:
+1 on the low brake fluid. The rear reservoir is very touchy about the level. If the battery is on the way out that can cause it as well.
Keep the battery on the tender, consistantly above 13V. So thats not it, but I will check the rear...Could it be a simple fix??????????????????????? Na, can't be its an LT! :p

Lee510 said:
The flashing ABS lights can't possibly be caused by low fluid. Steve's double naught, like mine, doesn't have fluid monitors in the reservoirs. A search for flashing ABS lights will display a list of threads, one detailing how to connect an analog test meter to the diagnostic connection under the seat, read the number of pulses of the indicator, and that will tell you what has caused the fault. If restarting clears the fault, it probably won't give a reading. If key off, key on doesn't reset the system, it should be able to read the fault.

Since restarting resets the system, sure could be a wheel sensor. The test meter will tell you front or rear.
What do you mean I don't have fluid monitors? Of coarse I do, what do you think the wifes job is! Think, go get me a beer, women! (NOTE: not to be repeated in her presence!) The system resets itself every time. (its actually happened three times in the last two months) Suspect #1- DOT-4 level of the rear, #2- Pads. As for the connection of a test meter....lets hope I don't have to get to that point..She's been a good girl!

Oh, by the way.....NICE BIKE! (mine is better)

·
Cat Herder
1,486 Posts
You may be heading to ABS failure... I am having all kinds of weirdness as well (see my other threads). I have checked every electrical think possible. I am fearing the $2400 part plus install and fluid change... $3200+ for the fix. If this is the case and I can't get the part for half price I will be trading my beloved LT in for a new RT.

The dealer will give me $5500 - $6000 for the LT. The fix is more than half of the value of the bike.

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
I'm 90% sure it a brake fluid level thing. All of my LTs did this, and I fixed it with DOT4 every time, save the 1 time my battery needed replacing.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I fought the same problem with my 2000 for months, Resetting it would only last a short time. Finally after a scary "non-ABS" skid, I bit the bullet and went for the new ABS unit. Problem solved. No problems since.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,249 Posts
DavidTaylor said:
I'm 90% sure it a brake fluid level thing. All of my LTs did this, and I fixed it with DOT4 every time, save the 1 time my battery needed replacing.
I am 100% sure it is not fluid as the ABS II has no monitors of fluid level. There are many things it can be and there is a rather long post about how to read out the fault by counting light flashes.

Also you can check the GS-911 registry as they now have SW to handle the ABS II system. There are some things you can do to fix the realy and motor faults as well as some good chances at fixing a stuck piston fault. Well documented in the FAQ area on the ADVrider board.

The electronics "brain" can still be an issue as it is not well documented.

Reactions: Frenchy

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
David, Dan, John- Thanks for the input. Checked the Dot-4 last night, looked good, but added ever so much... I tink we be getting ahead of ourselves, I hope! The issue is intermittent, only three times in the last two months. In all three occurences, the rear brake squeal preceded the abs light. It was only the last occurence that both lights wig-wagged. But the system resets with key off. I will change out the pads, but they have life left on them, albeit they are low, but not so that I am concerned. While I am at the rear I will check the ABS gap as well...

John, if you remember I had a Dot-4 leak on the front caliper, a thorough clean and torque seems to have corrected that issue. All four pistons are engaging correctly. I will hit up the 911 when all the simple stuff if checked... Thanks for your continued mentorship!!!! :D

What makes us love this bike so much? simply put..The quality time we spend with her! Priceless!

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
jrlakin said:
How old is the Battery? When is the last time you flushed the brakes?
Who knows +2 yrs is all I know. I have a volt meter on the bike and use a tender and its always 13+ Fronts, just a week ago, rear about a year.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Remember there is a control circuit and a wheel circuit for each brake. The two circuits are not connected, so as the pads wear the wheel circuit fluid will diminish, but the control circuit will never diminish unless there is a leak.

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
On the 99-01's, I believe they recommend the brakes be flushed every year. I do mine every year, and the fluid is very dirty each time I do a flush. Also, those year bikes do not have separate control units. Have you had it on a GS 911 to read out the faults? Just so you know, I have a 2000 that I bought used three years ago with approx. 8600 miles on it. I rode it for four thousand miles, and the ABS lights started blinking on it. In fact, the first time it happened was right after I had taking it to the dealer for the 12000 sevice. The dealer told me then the ABS unit was bad, and needed replacement, but they reset the fault code, and I was able to ride it for about 2000 miles before it started doing it again. Had it reset again at the dealer, and it was good for another 2000 miles or so. When it happened again, I just rode it. When my buddy and I did the 24000 mile service, I put in a new battery, flushed the brakes, and reset the default with a GS 911 code reader we had purchased. The lights stayed off until just this past fall, and they started flashing with about 50000 miles on the bike. Now I can't reset the code and I have resigned myself to replacing the unit. I was able to find a used unit on EBAY, and my buddy and I plan on replacing it this Winter, and replace the brake lines with Spieglers. BTW, the code default always has read there is a piston failure. If I were you, I would do a brake flush and see if that helps any.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
2Wheelroadtrip said:

+1, add fluid

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
RaffyK said:
Steve:

Look around the final drive unit for a frayed wire leading to the ABS sensor due to the wire being zip tied too tight. This was a know issue for 1999-2000 model years.
Just stuck my head under her skirt.....traced both the speed sensor and the abs back to the rear shock...Nada. Nothing of circumstance.

Still can't make the link to the every so often wig wag and its connection to the rear brake squeal. I checked the abs gap, and the max feeler gauge is right there. As I have not adjusted the ring, nor the sensor, I'd think it was good... next up is to simply change out the pads....

+200,000,000 - already checked/added DOT-4

·
Cat Herder
1,486 Posts
It seems that the 2000 model year was hell on ABS modulators. Is there anyone out there with a 2002-2003 with the same problems and what was the fix.

Adding brake fluid helps get the light off but it makes no difference when the ABS servo takes a dump and there is no power assist.
The really irritating thing is it is intermittent... Rear power assist works then it dies.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts