BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the LT . Looking for feed back on what LT riders are using for a tank bag. How it mounts and pictures , pro-cons.
Thanks , Mike

·
Registered
562 Posts
I have used the BMW bag (too small, too expensive), the Eclipse (pretty good and worth the price) and the Chicane (by far the best).

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
The Chicane specific bag. It is not on the website you must ask for it. Great guy. It fits on top of the oddiment box and does not opstruct your view of instruments or GPS.

Very pleased with mine. It was very useful on our recent 4,897 miles in nine days. It holds more than you think including a small 35 oz camel bag.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
I have the 45 oz. CamelBak in my Chicane. I have had no others.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Chicane

Used the Chicane with a camel bag from REI on our Alaska-Ohio run this summer. Loved it! Even expanded, could use the radio buttons and see GPS with no problems.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I put on a cheap Tour Master bag with map pouch. I think I paid $35. Then I cut up an old smaller atlas so I have all of the states. Had it for my 1100. Huge bag. Found it works great on the 1200. I just loop it around the radio and set it so i can see the radio display and it never moves.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
Chicane +1, great tankbag for the LT

·
Registered
259 Posts

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
mos said:
New to the LT . Looking for feed back on what LT riders are using for a tank bag. How it mounts and pictures , pro-cons.
Thanks , Mike
I've used this bag on my last two LT's. Great size, not too big, but much larger that the stock bag. Has a rubber grommet in the side for MP3 cables etc...

·
Registered
507 Posts
mos said:
what model Chicane are you guys using?
Chicane Canyon EX for the LT. I also use the Chicane map holder that fits a normal, albeit, folded road map. The map holder is thoughtfully designed to strap over the tank bag using adjustable built in elastic cords.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Could someone post a picture and a bit more info on the Chicane bag? I have been trying to find a suitable bag for my '06 and this one sounds like a good possibility.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
I use an ST1100 tank bag - it is massive and doesnt interfere with anything - fits the LT better than the ST1100!
I put all my heavy stuff in it and that can quite often be the stuff I want at hand - water, maps, batteries, camera etc.
If you spot one on ebay - get it - it is extreamly good quality as well.
Bad point - it wont match any colour - I have only seen them in faded red - but hey - looks or practicality - make your choice

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Here is the Chicane for the LT

The rain cover is stored in the front pouch and pull out and over the bag

·
Registered
96 Posts
Chicane LT bag I bought at a BMW rally from Chicane dealer. I love it!

·
Registered
688 Posts
Tank Bag

I have the LT specific Tank Bag. The first one I had a webbing (cloth) looP to fit over the oddments box lock and two hook and loop tabs to fasten it to the bike. I could not get the odments box to latch.

I called Chicane and talked to Randy, who told me I had an old model bag and to send it back to him and he would send me an updated one. I did, he did and the thing works great now. Used it on my latest 3800 mile trip to West Bend and back. I took the time to go by and thank Randy for his assistance. They are great people to do business with.

BTW, the new version has a small bungie type cord to loop over the oddments latch. Works great.

Ultra LT

·
Registered
507 Posts
UltraLT said:
I have the LT specific Tank Bag. The first one I had a webbing (cloth) looP to fit over the oddments box lock and two hook and loop tabs to fasten it to the bike. I could not get the odments box to latch.

I called Chicane and talked to Randy, who told me I had an old model bag and to send it back to him and he would send me an updated one. I did, he did and the thing works great now. Used it on my latest 3800 mile trip to West Bend and back. I took the time to go by and thank Randy for his assistance. They are great people to do business with.

BTW, the new version has a small bungie type cord to loop over the oddments latch. Works great.

Ultra LT
I had the same loop on my Chicane. I told Randy about it when I was at the BMW rally in West Bend. He told me to get go get it from my bike and modified my bag on the spot with the bungee loop and it works great now! Randy is sometimes hard to get a hold of but provides excellent customer service. The Chicane products are top quality and backed by great service!

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
My tank bag is by far the most useful accessory on my scoot. I've always been less than impressed with the current offerings, so I utilized a "pannier" designed for a mountain bike rear top rack and modified it to fit the LT.

The curved base is piece of 1/8" Lexan covered on both sides with short cropped fleece, with an adjustable strap that fits around the sting ray. A small snap holds the rear in place under the very front bottom of the seat.

It's expandable, has side pockets and a top zippered pocket. It also came with a rain cover. I can stuff it pretty much full, but the side pockets - when packed - do have some interference with the handlebars.... not enough where it has caused me any concerns since it easily slides to the side when pushed.

Although it is weathered and sun checked over the past 6 years it has done the job extremely well and I've never lacked for space.

I seem to remember paying $45.00 for it, the attached pictures show it unexpanded - expanded it adds another 5 inches of height.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts