BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have decided to buy an enclosed trailer to haul my k1200lt. I've narrowed it down to either a 6x10 or a 6x12. I can only fit one bike in either one so I'm not sure why I'd spend the extra for a 12' (about $200 more). What am I not thinking about?? Any suggestions on which trailer I should go with?? I don't want to regret it after the purchase.

David

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,116 Posts
10 ought to do. I have mine on an open 8 footer and the ramp had to be modified to not hit the top box. Tire clears OK.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
The real trick with trailers is the placement of the axle....

Some are a lot farther back than others... You want one that's pretty well centered..

You don't want too much or too little tongue weight.. With the axle more centered you can adjust the tongue weight with ballast..(Wife baggage) In order to make the trailer easier to pull..

The length really doesn't matter as long as the LT will fit eh ?

John

·
Premium Member
7,801 Posts
10' long v. 12' long? Good question. Some things you may have already considered, but in case you haven't:

The longer trailer:
requires a bigger turning radius (all things being equal?)
takes up more space in a garage, backyard, wherever
a few more pounds than the shorter trailer
is more versatile. Maybe you want to haul longer lumber, or firewood, or help someone move.

If all you really, really want to do is haul the LT, how about a 5x10? Easier to maneuver in traffic, easier to see around, etc.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Go with a 10' with a V nose, this makes the trailer a lot roomier , put a side door in it for access when tying bike down. I use E trac inside the trailer with a special modified bike chock so not only can the bike be positioned for weight distribution the d rings can be moved to keep the straps from scratching your bike now and in the future....Kieth

Here is a link to pictures of my trailers (I have 2 open trailers and 2 enclosed trailers)

http://kieth.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Trailering-Equipment/5592145_Rn2zZ#343100184_8BkK6 :dance:

call me to discuss where to buy e trac, d rings, and wheel chocks.......918-446-2245

I do not sell these I just know where to get them. Kieth

·
Registered
103 Posts
This should be a no brainier.... 12 foot for sure! There are many things that you will find to put in the trailer space. Why not set the front up for some basic maint items and tools. Maybe shelves and a rack for helmets, riding gear, cleaning stuff and the what not. If you got a trailer then make good use of the space. A 10 foot trailer takes the same space as a 12 foot one when it comes to parking. Don't worry about pulling it since the extra space and what you are using it for most likely will not overload it or the vehicle your pulling it with. They may have the same working capacity but there are endless possibilities for the extra 2 feet. A trailer is like a shed, a garage and a full moon. You'll always wish for a larger one!

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Consider height for loading with antennas and windshield clearances.

Ron

·
Registered
53 Posts
I thought originally that I would get a 6x10 or 6x12, but I wound up with a 7x14 for a couple of reasons:
The 7' trailers are (those I looked at) over 6' high at the back door and 6 1/2' inside. I don't ever hit my head, or my windshield.
The 7' trailers are dual axle. They ride better, can handle more load, and aren't totally disabled by a flat.
There are drawbacks, of course. The wider trailer is harder to see around, weighs more, and costs more. Still, I don't regret the choice.

Oh, and trailers are like outbuildings and sheds: There ain't no such thing as too big. You WILL use the space.

PS A ramp rear door is a must...

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just ordered a 6x12 v nose with ramp, lights, and jacks in the back.

Thanks for the advice!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts