BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are our seats leather? And how do I take care of them? And the soft padding around the rear speakers? Are they leather to? Dont feel like it to me.

What about the plastic? Normally I wash it down with soapy water like any bike. But what if I just want to remove bugs form the windshield and faring between washes? Is windex ok to use?

My bike is a 08 LT if that matters.

·
Registered
656 Posts

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,602 Posts
If you have a stock seat it is NOT leather.
NEVER use Windex on the windshield. Warm Soapy water is the best to clean all of the bike.
DO NOT use High pressure water on the Radio or dash / speaker area
After it is clean you can polish the plastic.
I like to use S100 on the windshield & the front of the bike. It makes cleaning off the bugs easier.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I find that "Protect-All" works great on the vinyl all over the bike...seats, knee pads, and speaker housings. You can get it WalMart in the auto section usually near the RV items.

http://www.protectall.com/

Ron

·
Registered
338 Posts
To keep the vinyl soft and supple, never use anything harsh ( windex may have ammonia), do use a UV protectant as sun can do more damage than anything else. Many products on the market.
+ 1 for water and soap only for the windscreen. For dried bugs-just lay the wet rag for a few minutes, than wipe.

·
Premium Member
7,677 Posts
lesn said:
To keep the vinyl soft and supple, never use anything harsh ( windex may have ammonia), do use a UV protectant as sun can do more damage than anything else. Many products on the market.
+ 1 for water and soap only for the windscreen. For dried bugs-just lay the wet rag for a few minutes, than wipe.
And wipe down when dry with a microfiber cloth saturated in isopropyl alcohol.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I remember back in The Day when I applied a liberal amount of Armor-All to the relatively flat seat of my Norton Commando 850. Made it nice and shiney!

Caught 2nd gear and the fat part of the torque curve before I realized that I was just about lying flat over the seat as the bike rocketed out from under my crotch :eek:

It's been Soap and Water on my seats from that point on... ;)

·
Registered
241 Posts
JimH said:
I remember back in The Day when I applied a liberal amount of Armor-All to the relatively flat seat of my Norton Commando 850. Made it nice and shiney!

Caught 2nd gear and the fat part of the torque curve before I realized that I was just about lying flat over the seat as the bike rocketed out from under my crotch :eek:

It's been Soap and Water on my seats from that point on... ;)
:histerica Awesome! Did the same thing when I was a teen with my YZ125 - caught air on a jump and looked like Superman laying across my seat holding on for dear life! That's why I use a nice vehicle soap and warm water.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Many years ago I had a GoldWing Executive and started going to the GoldWing rallies. After going to a few there was one particular outfit, a 1200 Interstate and Hedingham Child/Adult, which all stood out due to its permanent shine. Upon asking the owner how he did it, come rain or shine, he told me the trick is regular furniture polish which has a silicon / beeswax base. The advantage to this kind of product is that it can be used everywhere on the bike without any issues at all and it even helps to keep the windscreen clear in the rain. I have used it since only ever occasionally applying 'car polish' when there is a difficult area to be polished. Househoud furiture polish is a cheap and effective solution, personally I use the hand pump variety as you can get refills as opposed to the aerosol types.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
I've never treated the vinyl on the seats of my 2000 other than the annual soapy water wash.

Some vinyl protectants (amorall, sunofagun) can make the seat really slippery, but might be good occasionally if the bike is parked outdoors. YMMV.

For the windshield and tupperware: dishwashing liquid and warm water for bugs when at home.
Pledge furniture polish with a terry cloth towel when on the road.
Plexus works well too but the stuff is 'spensive and Pledge works well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts