BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Mister Moto
Joined
·
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a major headache trying to figure out why my '06 LT at just under 2500 miles has decided not to downshift. With an SRC scheduled for this weekend only, I'm between a rock and a no-show. I have found that if I pull up slightly with my toe and then push down, it works just fine....but that's way too weird to concentrate on riding skills. (or maybe it's extra credit...hmmm?)

Has anyone experienced this on their LT? Clues...I'm lookin' for clues here...
what do you think?

:confused:
 

·
BMW Guru
Joined
·
8,469 Posts
K-daug said:
I've got a major headache trying to figure out why my '06 LT at just under 2500 miles has decided not to downshift. With an SRC scheduled for this weekend only, I'm between a rock and a no-show. I have found that if I pull up slightly with my toe and then push down, it works just fine....but that's way too weird to concentrate on riding skills. (or maybe it's extra credit...hmmm?)

Has anyone experienced this on their LT? Clues...I'm lookin' for clues here...
what do you think?

:confused:
Sounds like broken shifter linkage. Take the foot peg plate off and have a look. It's an easy repair...
 

·
Mister Moto
Joined
·
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ted Shred said:
Sounds like broken shifter linkage. Take the foot peg plate off and have a look. It's an easy repair...

Not that, checked that already everything appears to be in order. Could it be a weak spring on the input shaft? Binding? It all seems, okay when I looked it over.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,549 Posts
Might be out of adjustment?
 

·
Mister Moto
Joined
·
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll try re-lubing and adjusting it tonight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
558 Posts
My brother had a Moto Guzzi that did about the same thing. The dealer took it apart and could not find anything wrong. Hopefully your dealer can do better.
 

·
Mister Moto
Joined
·
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ATFLT said:
My brother had a Moto Guzzi that did about the same thing. The dealer took it apart and could not find anything wrong. Hopefully your dealer can do better.
My dealer's building isn't finished yet, 3 more weeks! Do you mean he could shift down if he lifted the shifter slightly before pressing down, but not at all otherwise?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
659 Posts
K-daug said:
I'll try re-lubing and adjusting it tonight.
Check the belcrank pivot. It can work loose and cause difficult shifting. It is a 4 or 5 mm allen with a 10 mm nut at the rear. Make sure all the ball links are tight. Also check for any binding in the shift lever itself. Every thing should be smooth if it all is tight and well lubricated. Given it's pretty low mileage, I'd suspect adjustment primarily. It can be a trial an error PIA to get the adjustment right; take the faceplate off, make an adjustment, test ride, then repeat the process. It's usually just a turn or turn and a half one way or the other and that's where the trial and error process is the only way I could find to get it right. If that's the problem you should see an improvement in shifting when you find which way the adjustment needs to go, it might take more "dialing in" after that.
 

·
Mister Moto
Joined
·
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Reid said:
Check the belcrank pivot. It can work loose and cause difficult shifting. It is a 4 or 5 mm allen with a 10 mm nut at the rear. Make sure all the ball links are tight. Also check for any binding in the shift lever itself. Every thing should be smooth if it all is tight and well lubricated. Given it's pretty low mileage, I'd suspect adjustment primarily. It can be a trial an error PIA to get the adjustment right; take the faceplate off, make an adjustment, test ride, then repeat the process. It's usually just a turn or turn and a half one way or the other and that's where the trial and error process is the only way I could find to get it right. If that's the problem you should see an improvement in shifting when you find which way the adjustment needs to go, it might take more "dialing in" after that.
Great info Reid! I did notice some paint scuffing behind the shifter where it was getting into the side panel "slightly". I've had it off and don't think it's bent at all.

What is the average clearance there, between the shifter and the side panel?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
659 Posts
K-daug said:
Great info Reid! I did notice some paint scuffing behind the shifter where it was getting into the side panel "slightly". I've had it off and don't think it's bent at all.

What is the average clearance there, between the shifter and the side panel?
I guess the part of the shifter that runs parallel to the side panel on mine is about 1/4". If yours has gone on its side (you'd be the very first to have that happen;)) although protected by the bars, the shifter and mechanism could've been stressed. Just guessing, wish I could help more. I'm sure others will chime in...if I recall correctly, a few months ago I read about someone having similar issues where pressing down slightly and then up to shift was what he had to do. I don't recall what the possible solutions were though.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top