BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's gotta be SOME reason. Fitment, aero...I dunno.

But it sure makes oil changes messy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
795 Posts
No idea, but I am sure his name was Hans :)

My R1200C has the filter up in the pan also, however the pan is shaped so that the oil filter sits outside of it rather than in it like the LT. As far as I am concerned there is no sane reason, just make sure that you remove the oil filter before draining the oil and all will be well! :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
403 Posts
The configuration on the LT escapes me at the moment, but why wouldn't you want it in the crank case? That's where the oil is.
Some applications mount it externally, frequently if there is a cooler, but it invites leakage going to or coming from the remote location.
dc
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,208 Posts
copperstatetour said:
No idea, but I am sure his name was Hans :)
Thank you very very much for the compliment
but no I can't take credit for the astonishing engineering that built the LT,
it was done by a group of people a hell-of-a-lot smarter than me and the o/p of this thread,
hey......I might just have answered the question :rolleyes:....:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SilverBuffalo said:
Thank you very very much for the compliment
but no I can't take credit for the astonishing engineering that built the LT,
it was done by a group of people a hell-of-a-lot smarter than me and the o/p of this thread,
hey......I might just have answered the question :rolleyes:....:)
Maintaining a clean maintenance area wasn't one of the design criteria. And they must have thought otherwise after the fact, the 1600 motor has it in a much saner place. I could also just as easily say they put it there as they had no other choice...the buyer wouldn't pay $450 for tupperwear removal to do a simple oil change, and the dealerships wouldn't eat the cost of a high labor proceedure.

And, no offense, but I'm pretty smart. ;)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,543 Posts
Rocketsled said:
There's gotta be SOME reason. Fitment, aero...I dunno.

But it sure makes oil changes messy.
Putting a cartridge style filter inside the crankcase makes sense as was the case on my Kawasaki Voyager and on my Chevy Equinox (which has the filter on top of the engine which is even smarter). Putting a spin-on style filter on the outside of the engine makes sense as that is what they were designed for. Putting a spin-on filter inside the crankcase is just stupid. I'd love to hear the reasoning for it, but I'll bet it is feeble at best.

As for Hans' comment that the folks who designed the LT are a lot smarter than either he or the original poster, I have no way to verify that. :) I absolutely reject the absurd idea that they are smarter than me, however. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,208 Posts
Life is good when you can discuss different opinions with friends and laugh about them at the same time, :wave

I've never had an issue doing oil changes,
put a pan under, loosen three Allen bolts, drain, remove plate then filter,
replace and seal it up, 10 minutes and I'm done.

It actually takes longer to put the bike on the H/F lift and secure it than to do the oil change.

Regarding location, every K-bike back to '85 had the oil filter in the same place,
not taking up any space anywhere else on the motor,
that makes it it tried and proven system, in "true BMW style"
it might not make sense "to you" but it works very well.

The old airhead BMW's also had their filters in the crankcase,
not sure when they started that, (my '76 had one)

As far as spin on.......why not, a lot cleaner than cartridge....... easy to remove/replace
available at every Wallmart or auto parts store,

I don't really see an issue here,

but I'm just "practical, it is what it is,

I'll leave the "complicated" stuff to you ......uhhh....... "smart" guys. :rolleyes: ......:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SilverBuffalo said:
I'll leave the "complicated" stuff to you ......uhhh....... "smart" guys. :rolleyes: ......:)
You say you're joking, yet you're the only one bringing an intelligence test to the table. If you mean what you say, talk to the topic and leave the IQ crap out of it.

What's easier/better/cleaner?

1. pull drain plug
2. unscrew exposed oil filter
3. Lube o-ring on new filter, replace filter, plug, fill.

1. (optionally) pull drain plug
2. three allen bolts
3. clean up mess
4. replace o-ring
5. pull slick, oily, filter, getting oil all over the wrench
6. clean up mess
7. Lube o-ring on new filter, replace filter, plug
8. clean up access plate, replace
9. Fill oil using a 2 foot tube (appropo of nothing, I'll give em one.)

Every vehicle I've ever owned before the Beemer followed the 3 step process above.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,176 Posts
I personally don't care for its location, but it is easier than my Harley. That spin on is mounted on the side of the motor, just above EVERYTHING. I have to make an aluminum foil drain "thangy", tuck it under the oil filter, then drill a hole in the filter to get it to drain, unscrew it from around the sensors, then wash the damned engine because I still spilled oil all over the chrome. :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,208 Posts
Rocketsled said:
You say you're joking,
yet you're the only one bringing an intelligence test to the table.
If you mean what you say, talk to the topic and leave the IQ crap out of it.
Sounds like I "hit a nerve"
what's the "big deal"?
Can't take a joke?
So ...........we have different opinions!!.
Why are you trying to make this personal?

We have something called freedom of speech in this great country.
I would prefer to "get along" with you and most everyone else
but don't even think you can tell me what I can or cannot talk or joke about.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
Rodney King said it "can't we all just get along" ( i thing he was high at the time). Hans I've never read anything nice from you, I thought I was a grumpy man and a synic. Glad we are not an endangered species!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,543 Posts
SilverBuffalo said:
Life is good when you can discuss different opinions with friends and laugh about them at the same time, :wave

I've never had an issue doing oil changes,
put a pan under, loosen three Allen bolts, drain, remove plate then filter,
replace and seal it up, 10 minutes and I'm done.

It actually takes longer to put the bike on the H/F lift and secure it than to do the oil change.

Regarding location, every K-bike back to '85 had the oil filter in the same place,
not taking up any space anywhere else on the motor,
that makes it it tried and proven system, in "true BMW style"
it might not make sense "to you" but it works very well.

The old airhead BMW's also had their filters in the crankcase,
not sure when they started that, (my '76 had one)

As far as spin on.......why not, a lot cleaner than cartridge....... easy to remove/replace
available at every Wallmart or auto parts store,

I don't really see an issue here,

but I'm just "practical, it is what it is,

I'll leave the "complicated" stuff to you ......uhhh....... "smart" guys. :rolleyes: ......:)
A spin-on is cleaner and easier if it is outside the engine where it was designed to be and thus not covered with oil when you remove it. I am not a fan of cartridge filters that are under the engine, but I have to admit that the one on my new Equinox is the cat's meow. I can get to it without climbing under the vehicle and it comes out of the well attached to the cap and thus I can pull it out without even touching oil.

Changing the oil on my LT is certainly not rocket science, but it is much messier than it needs to be and this is due to a dumb design by BMW. I've been an engineer for nearly 30 years and I have seen a lot of designs and done much design myself. I know good design from bad, and the oil filter arrangement on the brick engines is simply a dumb design. I have no problem calling a spade a space. It is just much more complicated than it needs to be.

If that makes me "impractical", so be it! Ha, ha, ha... :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,543 Posts
Rocketsled said:
You say you're joking, yet you're the only one bringing an intelligence test to the table. If you mean what you say, talk to the topic and leave the IQ crap out of it.

What's easier/better/cleaner?

1. pull drain plug
2. unscrew exposed oil filter
3. Lube o-ring on new filter, replace filter, plug, fill.

1. (optionally) pull drain plug
2. three allen bolts
3. clean up mess
4. replace o-ring
5. pull slick, oily, filter, getting oil all over the wrench
6. clean up mess
7. Lube o-ring on new filter, replace filter, plug
8. clean up access plate, replace
9. Fill oil using a 2 foot tube (appropo of nothing, I'll give em one.)

Every vehicle I've ever owned before the Beemer followed the 3 step process above.
I don't know that Hans brought an intelligence test to the table other than to say that he isn't as smart as the BMW engineers. Not sure why that would upset you. Methinks you need to cut back on the caffeine (says I as I sip my coffee).

I think Hans was just having some fun and I for one am having some fun back at him. No need to get riled up over an oil filter design for cryin' out loud.
 

·
Enjoy The Ride
Joined
·
3,969 Posts
I've never made a mess changing the engine oil & filter. I can't say that about the trans. I have three lifts & the engine oil & filter is so easy to change I just do it with the bike on the center stand on the floor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
saddleman said:
I've never made a mess changing the engine oil & filter. I can't say that about the trans. I have three lifts & the engine oil & filter is so easy to change I just do it with the bike on the center stand on the floor.
Oh...me too. And four times the paper towels.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
If i remember correctly, the late 80's early 90's Pontiac's, Chevy and GMC 4 cyl engines also had an oil filter cartridge inside the oil pan. They would also puke everywhere.

The thought process I came up with is the space consideration for the engine. The engineer's couldn't reach a compromise with the exterior design division for an economical oil filter placement without changing the looks.
 

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
Joined
·
13,916 Posts
I just take out the front two bolts and loosen, ever so slightly, the third one and it just flows nicely out of the sump.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
152 Posts
Well,...here's my spin on it [pun intended] outside spin on type makes for a one beer oil change. A cartridge type internal filter , makes for a two beer oil change.

I like beer! :wave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,176 Posts
I just got off the phone with the BMW engineer in charge of design and function - in Bavaria. Turns out that in early '98 they sent out feelers for the placement of the filter. Believe it or not, Hans (yes, silverbuffalo) was the one that sent in the winning design. Seems that after all, he IS smarter than the rest of those nimrods.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
659 Posts
Rocketsled said:
You say you're joking, yet you're the only one bringing an intelligence test to the table. If you mean what you say, talk to the topic and leave the IQ crap out of it.

What's easier/better/cleaner?

1. pull drain plug
2. unscrew exposed oil filter
3. Lube o-ring on new filter, replace filter, plug, fill.

1. (optionally) pull drain plug
2. three allen bolts
3. clean up mess
4. replace o-ring
5. pull slick, oily, filter, getting oil all over the wrench
6. clean up mess
7. Lube o-ring on new filter, replace filter, plug
8. clean up access plate, replace
9. Fill oil using a 2 foot tube (appropo of nothing, I'll give em one.)

Every vehicle I've ever owned before the Beemer followed the 3 step process above.
Try changing one on a RoadKing or Ultra. You'll find the LT change is a helluva lot easier and less messy. Transmission fluid....well, that's another story.
 
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Top