BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2002 k1200LT. How can I tell which model I have? Standard, custom, or elite? Thanks

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Post a pix.
Tell us what the bike has on it. Chrome, gps, comm system, heated seats, trip computer etc.

·
Cat Herder
1,486 Posts
If it has twin antenna's and a CB radio its an "E" model

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
from the brochure that I still have (which I tried to scan and paste but can't figure out how) when I bought my '02:
The Standard comes with heated grips, cruise control, an electrically adjustable windshield ans a reverse gear.
The Custom equipment includes chrome luggage rack with a third brake light, heated seat, heated hand grips, cruise control, on-board computer, alarm, Chrome package, and a six-CD changer (to be replaced by a single in-dash CD in April).
The Exodus equipment includes the BMW Motorcycle Navigator, ComSystem, rider and passenger push-to -talk switched, CB radio, CB antenna kit and waterproof bag liners for side cases and top cases.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, Thanks, I believe I have a custom model. :)

·
Registered
832 Posts
Exodus?......Never heard of that one.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a 03 custom what CB radio comes from factory??
Does it say in your sales papers from 02 I think they will
be the same for 03. I got a comm. system but no CB.
Ernie

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
elbuff said:
I have a 03 custom what CB radio comes from factory??
Does it say in your sales papers from 02 I think they will
be the same for 03. I got a comm. system but no CB.
Ernie
The CB that came with the LTE was a Midland 75-822 or 75-820 depending on what they had in stock ( virtually the same radio ) There was a wiring kit that adapted that radio into the intercom system BC-3 (built by J&M Audio). The antenna was a BMW part .

Remember that there were a few different intercoms in that time period. The BC-1, BC-2, and BC-3. The only one that worked as it should with the Cb was the BC-3. Also there are lots of bikes out there with aftermarket com systems such as the Autocom and others.

Ron

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
I agree KK610lt as I had always thought the E stood for Elite but that is what the brochure calls it. I do wonder where and why they came up with Exodus.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
Diolach said:
I agree KK610lt as I had always thought the E stood for Elite but that is what the brochure calls it. I do wonder where and why they came up with Exodus.
I remembered that there wuz some tit-for-tat 'tween BMW and Honda over the Elite nomenclature. I found Mark Neblett's note in an old thread -

The basic vehicle is the K1200LT. In the early years there were 3 models: LTS (standard), LTI (Icon) and LTC (Custom). These were differentiated by equipment and trim (onboard computer, CD changer, chrome trim on mirrors, tip-over bumpers, etc.). Later they added the LTE (Elite or Exodus, depending on whether before or after Honda objected to "Elite" as their name). The E added an intercom and GPS (both dealer installed), IIRC. Later the S was dropped. In recent years, BMW has gone to "ala cart" -- one basic LT, with the buyer selecting options/option packages.

HTH.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Diolach said:
The Custom equipment includes chrome luggage rack with a third brake light, heated seat, heated hand grips, cruise control, on-board computer, alarm, Chrome package, and a six-CD changer (to be replaced by a single in-dash CD in April).
I have wondered the same question. You have supplied the answer above with a couple of exceptions. Mine is a 2000 model but it does not have the alarm - at least I have not located it. Did the 2000 model have an alarm? I don't remember the books saying anything about an alarm. Where would it be located?

And mine does have the chrome luggage rack over the trunk but it has no chrome on the sides of the bike. Is this the 2000 years' version of the "C"?

Jonny Oliver
2000 K1200 LT
1993 K1100 LT

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,258 Posts
If you have the alarm (optional) you will have a little red LED in the dash just above the headlight adjustment knob IIRC. The alarm itself is located under the top case.

·
Registered
31 Posts
jzeiler said:
If you have the alarm (optional) you will have a little red LED in the dash just above the headlight adjustment knob IIRC. The alarm itself is located under the top case.
Since I have no light above the H/L adjuster, I have no alarm. Thanks for teaching me another new thing. I appreciate it.

Jonny Oliver
2000 K1200LT
1993 K1100LT

1 - 14 of 14 Posts