BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I have experience in Chicane and RKA rack bags.

Chicane is sleek, good quality and they have several versions. RKA is a bit bulky looking, expandable and very easy to install and take out.
I personally value this feature a lot. In last year CCR I asked the Chicane guys to demonstrate how fast they can install and take out their rack bag and it sure seemed time consuming.
If you don't take it off for the nights or occasional stops during the days then this does not matter.
Chicane also had a "quick lock" demo version but this was still a prototype, I don't know if they have come up with a final product already.

Regards

·
Registered
418 Posts
K1200LT Rack Bags

Have a Cathy's Journey Designs Rack Bag from Bob's BMW.
http://store.bobsbmw.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=25

Also have her left, right, and top case liners.

The RKA Rack Bag is also worth considering:

http://www.rka-luggage.com/A03 Seatbags/K1200LT Rackbag/k1200LTRACK.html

Other RKA K1200LT Bags:
http://www.rka-luggage.com/A08 BMW/K1200LT/K1200LT.html

Have both an RKA and Chicane Canyon (non-LT) Tank Bag.

Tried and liked the Chicane rack bags,
but, the Mesa Rack bag was too small,
and the Dune Duffel was too big and placed too much drag on the rack.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Torch said:
recommended :confused:
I use a rubberized bag that canoist use as it it completely waterproof. I used to use bungee cords to hold it down, but have switch to Helen Twowheels' straps. That's my daughter on our way to the Beemerville Rally in 05.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
I also have Cathy's bags and highly recommend the rack bag. It's a good fit and easy to put on and off. It's also expandable. I keep my liners and rain gear in there and expand and compress the bag as needed.

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
LT_Pilot said:
Have a Cathy's Journey Designs Rack Bag from Bob's BMW.
http://store.bobsbmw.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=25

Also have her left, right, and top case liners.
+1 for the Kathy's rack bag, and all her other stuff, too. I've used the rack bag on a lot of trips and ridden at least a couple of thousand miles in the rain with it, and everything inside stays dry as a bone. Super stable when mounted, easy to pack, and just top quality all the way around.

·
Registered
860 Posts
DavidTaylor said:
+1 for the Kathy's rack bag, and all her other stuff, too. I've used the rack bag on a lot of trips and ridden at least a couple of thousand miles in the rain with it, and everything inside stays dry as a bone. Super stable when mounted, easy to pack, and just top quality all the way around.
+1 on Kathy's bags... Easy, quick and stable... Funny thing... when the bag is up, the rear gunner does not complain about wind buffeting... who'd of thunk?!?

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Mags bags made for LT rack.......................................
12,000 miles on mine thru Oregon liquid sunshine

·
Registered
353 Posts
I purchased a Mags Bags and I love it. Attatches very easy, through the 4 slots on the rack. Mine stayed rock solid for 6200 miles out west last year. Has a wide, reflective stripe all around. Comes with a stow away rain cover, (yellow). My buddy likes mine so well I'm going to loan it to him for his ride west this year.

Brian
02 LTC silver
Charlotte, NC

·
Premium Member
3,872 Posts
I use Kathy's inside the bike and SAC bags on the trunk rack and back seat. Don't care too much for the trunk rack bag, but love all the rest of them.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Cee Baileys

Anouther vote for Cee Baileys. They fit great and are made well.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Beemer Bags are a great!

Gentlemen:
I had a great experience with my choice the Beemer Bag when I did over 11k miles around the country this summer.
www.GraceHighWay.WordPress.Com

I found the Beemer bags through this site and some reviews online.
There are cheap-o bags out there if that is all you want but these really turned out to be something special.

Check out the website below there price was less than the manufactured suggested retail price!
http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/product.asp?Item=BB

They held tight on the back, quick and ez to attach to the back rack, they fit into the space provided well, and they sure took a lot of gear and clothes.
I didn't have any wind problems with the top rack pack at all.

I tried to go on a long ride with stuff sacks and that was a nightmare!
These bags made it easy to carry everything I had no matter if I was setting up camp or checking in to a motel/hotel.

They aren't the cheapest but they were well made and I was proud to tote them around.
Compared to the leather BMW brand bag for around $200 each they were a steal and had a better design.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Top Rack Bag

I bought the Cee Bailey version at the MOA rally. My first choice was the Kathy's Bags product, as I am very pleased with the 3 piece bag liners that I bought last year. Unfortunately, Bob's BMW ran out of stock at the rally.

Coming home from Sturgis 2 days ago, I ran into some torrential rain. The Cee Bailey bag was not waterproof. I am somewhat disappointed with the product, although it appears to be well made. I believe that the capacity of the Bailey product is less than the Kathy's Bag version. That said, I would be careful about the amount of weight that I place that high up on the bike. Potential handling issues.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts