BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I see Usable tank volume 6.2 U.S. gallons (24 l) and a reserve of 1 U.S. gallon (approx. 4.0 l), so 7.2 gallons; right?

What kind of range do you get? and is my 7.2 gallon assumption correct.?

Thanks

Dave

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
The few times I push it till the "Low Fuel" light came on and then some I would get around 300 miles. The most fuel I've ever put in her was 6.1 gal.
BTW my book shows 6.3 gal. on a 2000. The newer bikes may have a little more.

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Yep a lot of factors - altitude, heat, roads, tires, luggage, pillion.
~230 worst with me 1 up and 290 best 2 up

·
Registered
493 Posts
I never see much over 200 miles. I ran out of gas once at 210. I get nearly 40mpg usually, lately its been down in the 36-38 range.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,981 Posts
Depending on my riding style & weather I have gotten between 37 & 57.5 mpg. My average in town is 52 to 54mpg & on the hwy 46 to 48mpg.

I ran out one time when a fuel QD broke. I was able to coast to a station and it took 6.2 gallons to fill.

I normally fill up near 240 miles & and have gone as much as 290.

·
Premium Member
7,615 Posts
davidpweis said:
Hi,

I see Usable tank volume 6.2 U.S. gallons (24 l) and a reserve of 1 U.S. gallon (approx. 4.0 l), so 7.2 gallons; right?

What kind of range do you get? and is my 7.2 gallon assumption correct.?

Thanks

Dave
I'm not aware of any reserve in the sense of the old petcock selected reserves. I believe the total capacity is 6.2 gallons and the "reserve" means that the low fuel light is supposed to come on when about 1 gallon of that 6.2 remains. I ran mine over 300 miles once and had the fuel gage down to the last little LED sliver. I put in 6.1 gallons and figured I was on fumes at that point.

I often get close to 300 miles range when riding moderately and seldom get less than 250 miles. I normally had the low fuel light come on in the 230-250 range.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
I believe the 6.1 is total volume which means your fuel light should come on at about 5 gallons used. One of the reasons fuel pumps are now located in the tank is that immersing them in the fuel cools them as they run. With that in mind I never run mine more than 200 miles or so before filling it up. Running it completely out could be bad for the pump as the impeller is lubricated by the fuel as it turns. I doubt that this would cause it to seize up but could cause early failure if left running without fuel for an extended period of time.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I look for a gas station at 250 miles; I don't like to tease the tigers.

Curt

·
Registered
255 Posts
Also, you have to figure in your SO's "range", and how many cups of coffee.
Otherwise I am in the 250 range.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I can usually get 300 miles on a tank with ease. Mine normally gets 55-58 mpg so it isn't much of a concern. My low light comes on at about 4.8 used.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
This was taken on the way to CCR last year. It was in Colorado but I do not remember the name of the town. It was in the middle of nowhere and I was glad to find it. The low fuel light had been on for 30+ miles and I was worried since we were on a two lane road in the back country.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Owners manual for my 02 says 6.34 capacity, 1.06 reserve.
Shop manual 6.21.
My worst fuel economy was 24.4 mpg due to increased headwinds.

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
I get 49-50 MPG one-up and 42 MPG two-up. So my working range is 250-300 miles. Tires, inflation pressure, aggressiveness, altitude, hills, flat land, wind, all play a part.

·
Registered
91 Posts
:
jaskjb said:
Also, you have to figure in your SO's "range", and how many cups of coffee.
Otherwise I am in the 250 range.
:histerica I love it, "SO's range". It's funny, but it's also the reason I seldom have to worry about range. Her butt has a much shorter range than the tank!

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
I get 37-38 around Tucson.
My gauge seems to be accurate.

When I filled up today with around 220 on the trip odometer, the computer estimated about 26 more miles in the tank, and I think I put around 5.9 USA gallons into her today, at $2.05 a gallon.

Best from Tucson
Bob

·
Premium Member
7,615 Posts
pendie said:
: :histerica I love it, "SO's range". It's funny, but it's also the reason I seldom have to worry about range. Her butt has a much shorter range than the tank!

How many MPB (miles per bun) does she get? :histerica

·
Registered
72 Posts
I get in the mid 50's mpg solo and 48-50 2up and start looking for a gas station anywhere from 200-250 miles on the tank. Have gotten as good as 69mpg out of it a couple of times, but that was some extra ordinary conditions that one wouldn't see very often!

My book says that the "total" tank capacity is 6.3 gal which 1.1 gal of that is the "reserve" where the low fuel light illuminates.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I get more than enough to want to stop, walk, rest, eat, smell the roses, whatever. I spend more time thinking about smiles per mile than mpg. Its in the middle 40's somewhere 2-up and slightly over 6 Gal. US is what it holds.

Bil

1 - 20 of 21 Posts