BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious how many of you subscribe to a motorcycle magazine, and what your favorite is. I purchased Rider off the magazine stand and liked it, but that's pretty much the only one I've seen. Any suggestions? Besides, I need a lighter forum topic than the RT recall…

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
Cycle World is still my favorite, balanced reviews, good variety of topics. Motorcyclist is getting better, under the previous editor it was getting too hooligan-y for my tastes, and I got tired of all of the cafe racer articles. I was a subscriber to MCN for a couple years, but felt it wasn't worth the price any more. I have a subscription to Rider, their reviews are pretty thin, but once in a while you get a neat article on regional rides (save your money and just visit their website once in a while unless you're a Clem Salvatori fanboy which I'm not)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just curious how many of you subscribe to a motorcycle magazine, and what your favorite is. I purchased Rider off the magazine stand and liked it, but that's pretty much the only one I've seen. Any suggestions? Besides, I need a lighter forum topic than the RT recall…
Motorcycle Consumer News

·
Premium Member
5,044 Posts
I had subscribed to 3, and my favorite has to be Motorcyclist, follows by Riders, and last is Cycle World. I am contemplating not renewing Cycle World when its subscription expires, but I haven't made up my mind yet.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Not to be unpatriotic here, but . . . the mainstream American magazines, with the exception of Motorcycle Classics, are pretty much "read and toss" in my opinion. Rider is mostly cruisers and scooters, "what I did on summer vacation" type of stuff, and Cycle World is squid-bikes and dirt-bikes, along with lots of racer-worship. Now that Peter Egan has retired from CW, the only thing that makes me even glance at it is Kevin Cameron's monthly column, and I'll bet it's not long until he "retires".

I currently subscribe to Classic Bike (from England), and Motorcycle Classics (USA). The writing and photography, and overall production quality, of these magazines puts the mainstream stuff to shame.

·
Registered
938 Posts
BMW ON

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Motorcycle Consumer News
+1

The only real gripe I have with MCN is that they start sending you renewal propaganda a year before your subscription expiration, and it is hard to keep track of that date unless you write it down someplace like Calendar and set a warning alarm in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
I subscribe to Rider and ON. Rider isn't as good as I remember it from back in the 70's and 80's. There is not enough content on touring anymore for my tastes and the other mags spend too much time on cafe racers, cruisers, and dirt bikes....

·
Registered
528 Posts
Road Runner and Rider for me.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Cycle World. Not 100% on the new format but always a good blend of articles.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
I spend a lot of time on planes and so read several.

Rider
BMW ON
MCN
Motorcyclist
BMW Magazine
Adv Motorcycle
Ultimate Motorcycle

I try to like RoadRunner but the writing quality is too inconsistent and at times laughably bad.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Motorcycle Classics. "Ride 'em, don't hide 'em". Two of my three BMWs are old-timers (1983 R80S, 1969 R60US).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts