BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were out riding today and as usual ended up stopping for gas. When I started to stick the gas nozzle into the tank I could tell right away it felt funny. I looked down into the filler tube and saw this part that was about ready to fall into the tank. I reached into the top of the filler hole and was able to grab it before it went into the tank. It looks like to me that it fit around the top of the filler tube and when you put a gas nozzle in, the nozzle rests up against this rubber. I tried looking up online an exploded view of the tank but couldn't find this part listed or viewable in any of the diagrams I saw. You can see in the one picture how the part is coming apart.

Does anybody know whats this is called.

Attachments

·
Registered
322 Posts
I have no idea what it's official name is, but on my bike it was known at the rubber thing that made filling up a PITA. I couldn't find it on any parts diagrams either - and it was splitting like yours is.

In my case, removing it from the bike and installing it in the rubbish bin had made my refuelling experience much easier :)

Jon

·
Registered
29 Posts
It's designed to stop fuel splashback when filling up, by making a seal around the filler nozzle, but in reality it restricts the exit of air from the tank, making filling difficult.

I've removed mine....YMMV. Be careful of fuel splashes when the tank is almost full.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
***UPDATE***

I found out the official name of the rubber thingy that sits inside the RT's gas tank. It's called a "SPACER". Here's the part number 16117678019 and it's $3.21, probably one of the cheapest parts on the RT. Also, no idea why it doesn't show up on the RT's exploded view of the gas tank but it does show up on the GS 1200 gas tank exploded view. More info, either the model year 2009 or some time in 2009 the tank changed somewhat and this "SPACER" is no longer used.

I went ahead and had them get one for me for $3.21.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
I read this thread when it was first posted... had no meaningful input so I was just a spectator.

Filled up with gas the other day and had a chance to take a close look.

Unless I am confused- which seems to be easy... I think the "spacer" is supposed to be attached to the underside of the "fuel door". If yours or others, are loose take a look to see if it re-attaches to the gas cap/door....

OBTW, I started a thread several months or maybe years ago concerning tips for RT owners... maybe a search will bump it back here for the newer guys... but TIP... after a fill-up close the fuel door/gas cap... and press down until you hear/feel the click of it actually latching.

Other wise you will splash raw gas out and smell the fumes. Easy to just flip it down and assume it is latched... maybe it is not.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
hopz said:
I read this thread when it was first posted... had no meaningful input so I was just a spectator.

Unless I am confused- which seems to be easy... I think the "spacer" is supposed to be attached to the underside of the "fuel door". If yours or others, are loose take a look to see if it re-attaches to the gas cap/door....

OBTW, I started a thread several months or maybe years ago concerning tips for RT owners... maybe a search will bump it back here for the newer guys... but TIP... after a fill-up close the fuel door/gas cap... and press down until you hear/feel the click of it actually latching.

Other wise you will splash raw gas out and smell the fumes. Easy to just flip it down and assume it is latched... maybe it is not.
When this thread was first posted I looked at my bike and didn't see this thing. Mine is hard plastic all the way down the fill tube.

Good tip on making sure the door is latched. It's not all that difficult to get it partway there and think it's all the way. If you put a tank bag on top of the partially closed door you won't know where that smell is coming from.

JayJay

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hopz said:

The "spacer" is not attached to the bottom of the fuel door. When you open your fuel door and look straight down into the tank you will see the top of the "spacer" It has numbers and letters written on it. If your looking down into the fuel tank and don't see anything except a metal rim than your "spacer " is gone. Someone has either removed it or it may be sitting at the bottom of your fuel tank. I'll go out and take a picture of it and post it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JayJay said:
When this thread was first posted I looked at my bike and didn't see this thing. Mine is hard plastic all the way down the fill tube.

Good tip on making sure the door is latched. It's not all that difficult to get it partway there and think it's all the way. If you put a tank bag on top of the partially closed door you won't know where that smell is coming from.

JayJay
I noticed you have an 09 and that's the year that they changed the tank design and the spacer is no longer used. The mechanic at our local BMW dealership showed me his 09 and his is like yours plastic all the way down.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok. Here's a picture of my new "spacer". As you can see the only part that's visible is the top which shows numbers and letters. I should of taken a picture of the tank before I stuck the new one back in just to show what it looks like without the "spacer" but I didn't. If you have an 05 to 08 RT and only see a metal rim than the "spacer" has been removed.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
sdan451 said:
I noticed you have an 09 and that's the year that they changed the tank design and the spacer is no longer used. The mechanic at our local BMW dealership showed me his 09 and his is like yours plastic all the way down.
Check, and thanks. I saw your picture and it doesn't look at all like mine does. I guess I have the "new and improved" version - that still has the random number fuel strip, unfortunately.

JayJay

1 - 10 of 10 Posts