BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I had the cross piece of the centerstand crack just right of the weld on the left side of the stand. I called Stephen Glasgow at Hannigan's Sidecar and Trikes in Kentucky. Stephen made me a great deal on a virtually new center and side stand assembly.

The unit he sent me has a part that is not part of my 1999 bike's centerstand. See pictures. It appears to be part of the stand in that the mounting holes line up perfectly. The cylinder with the wire extending out from it is mounted in an enlongated hole allowing it to move from side to side.

Does anyone know what this part is? Is heavy wire the world's shortest curb feeler (remember those?)?

BTW, the bike goes up on the new stand more easily than it ever did on the old one even when the bike was new. I was always able to do it in the past but never with the ease of this new stand. I see now why some owners find it easy and others find it very difficult to use the centerstand.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
If I'm remembering right - that's a hanger for the exhause system. But, it looks like the end has been broken off the wird. Should be a loop with a sleve in it that screws to the exhaust.

I believe you can leave it out. Gimme a minute and I'll get ya a picture of it on my '02.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well, Dang!

Thanks for the quick response, guys. Mystery solved.

My exhaust system has been hanging fine without this for years so I won't worry about it.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
TomD said:
Well, Dang!

Thanks for the quick response, guys. Mystery solved.

My exaust system has been hanging fine without this for years so I won't worry about it.
Yup - Toad never had one since being born in June of '99. Haven't missed it yet! Wonder how many get thrown away at the shops? ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts