BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the name of the mounting system used to mount the Garmin GPS? Is it factory BMW? I would like to see if I can get a 1" ball mount that would fit in there. I plan on using my phone for a GPS and would like to just reuse this mount. If there isn't anything that would convert this to a ball mount, how hard it is to remove altogether so that I can put something else in its place?

Attachments

·
Registered
209 Posts
That looks a garmin base mount.
Yes it is a self adhesive mount intended for a car dashboard. It should peel off with some effort.

For your iPhone, you would be better having it nearer to your view of the road. I have used a twin magnet mount which is ideal and you can power the iPhone from the courtesy lamp via a 12V to USB converter.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
I install my phone on top of the radio lid with Velcro with a short power cord from the power adapter inside the radio compartment.
It is close enough that even though it is not upright "in my face" I have no difficulty seeing it, or even handling the buttons if I need to.
And if it rains, I just throw it inside the compartment.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, everyone. I figured that it was a Garmin mount, I was just hoping that it was something that might have had compatibility with another system. I plan on removing it and going with either a RAM mount or Quadlock system.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts