BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have broken the front clips (plastic) on both mirrors. I did the wire and J Weld mod on the left mirror assembly and replaced the the assembly on the right mirror.

So, what is the correct procedure for removing the mirrors from the bike so that I do not break the assembly's again? :confused:

·
Registered
835 Posts
Stand beside the bike and whack the outside edge of the mirror towards the rear of the bike. That is how I do it/

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hit any large bump in the road.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
mpillis said:
Stand beside the bike and whack the outside edge of the mirror towards the rear of the bike. That is how I do it/
That's the way I do it...............whack or the bump............... :histerica ..............That's why we use the tethers................. :D

·
Registered
552 Posts
Get close to the garage door opening and back the bike up or drive it forward making sure the mirror hits the side of the frame.

Or my favorite is to place the bike in a walk way in the garage so the kids have to walk along the side of it and in no time the mirrors will be hanging from the tethers.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
...and don't forget those orange lane dividers - the tall skinny ones that sort of look like wiffle bats - they work really nicely at highway speeds.

Potholes are almost as good :) .

·
Registered
407 Posts
Last time I used the orange lane dividers as mentioned above. It's very quick and effective, but very expensive also.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Stand beside the bike and, with the palm of your hand, gently but firmly whack the outside edge of the mirror towards the rear of the bike, popping loose the front single clip, and if you don't have it, install tethers.

·
Slow Old Guy
2,012 Posts
An old motorhome squeezed me between them and the concrete divider on a four lane highway once. I was doing about 80, he wasn't. Removed the right side mirror. I wouldn't recommend this method. :(

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,168 Posts
The best way is to pop them upwards from below. The best way to keep them from breaking or popping loose is to keep the ball studs and wires greased. This gives them maximum grip (yeah grease is slippery but that is what allows the wires to go further down on the ball studs for better grip). Make sure there is a gap in the plastic all the way around the mirrors as well. If not add small washers under the ball studs (don't over tighten).

·
Registered
701 Posts
Had one break on the front mount just last week....repaired using some metal fly screen & 5 min Epoxy. Seems to be holding up.

See Pic's

Attachments

·
Registered
176 Posts
So I guess wheelies are not an approved method?

-Scott

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Just make sure that you do not pop them back on or they will break again. A BMW tech showed me the correct way. Line up all three studs while holding the mirrows with both hands then push on the bottom one, then use leverage to pressure the top one on, then the same thing to the front one. Make sure the studs are clean and greased and you have a gap between the mirrow and the body.

·
Cat Herder
1,465 Posts
Hey BibHopper, I like the fix you did on the front spring. That's the first anchor point to break. I just had to replace a the left side at a $110....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts