BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of that stuff you spray on your face shield that keeps it from fogging. I can't think of the name of it but thats not what I was asking, what exactly is that stuff?
I know if you spit in your diving mask it keeps it from fogging, but don't tell me it's spit :rolleyes: (Specially at $5 for a little bottle) What is the secret chemical that keeps the face shield from fogging up?
Ed

·
Registered
131 Posts
There are many different things that will keep stuff from fogging. They all work the same way (I think) which is to lower the surface tension of the water so it doesn't bead (fogging is really just a bunch of little beads on the surface). One of the secret diving recipes is a 1:10 solution of baby shampoo (no more tears) and water.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JeffB said:
There are many different things that will keep stuff from fogging. They all work the same way (I think) which is to lower the surface tension of the water so it doesn't bead (fogging is really just a bunch of little beads on the surface). One of the secret diving recipes is a 1:10 solution of baby shampoo (no more tears) and water.
Thanks for your reply. I found this on a website:

Make Your Own Liquid Eyeglass Cleaner And Anti-Fog

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The product is simple to make - all that is needed is your vial which may be plastic or glass, the felt or any absorbent substance that will hold the non-drying cleaning solution and the solution itself. The absorbent substance may be felt, synthetic sponge, cotton wicking, or even a piece of cloth rolled up to fit the small container or dispenser.

FORMULA FOR THE SOLUTION:

Ethylene Glycol . . . . . . . . 8 parts
Wetting Agent . . . . . . . . . 1 part
Water . . . . . . . . . . . . . 8 parts

PROCEDURE: Mix the wetting agent in the water and then stir in the Ethylene Glycol. We have given the units as "PARTS". You may consider the parts as drams, ounces, pints, quarts or gallons according to size batch you wish to make.

I was a little confused as to what a wetting agent is, and as you said, it just breaks tthe surface tension. They recommended MONAWET MO-70% but says you can use any sulfosuccinate solution.
After reading all this, maybe the $5 is worth the trouble!
Ed

·
Registered
256 Posts
Ed, If I had to go into my local chemist with a list like that, he'd think I was making a bomb. NSA/CIA/FBI/MI5/MI6 please ignore this post, I know you'll pick it up because of one simple word...was a joke honest :)

Malki

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
edonthenet said:
I'm thinking of that stuff you spray on your face shield that keeps it from fogging. I can't think of the name of it but thats not what I was asking, what exactly is that stuff?
I know if you spit in your diving mask it keeps it from fogging, but don't tell me it's spit :rolleyes: (Specially at $5 for a little bottle) What is the secret chemical that keeps the face shield from fogging up?
Ed
This crap works pretty good http://www.catcrap.com/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts