BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody tell me what the electrical component is that is under the seat towards the back on the left side on my 02 LT? It is some king of electrical component, with many wires coming out of it. The nearest I can figure by looking at fiches, is that it is a Control Unit backup Assistance, but the picture shown does not quite match up with what I'm seeing in that mine has many more wires coming out of it than the picture in the fiche. What does this unit do anyway? If it is not that, then what is it? It would be nice to know, just in case something goes wrong with it.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Perhaps a picture may help.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
joegottberg said:
Perhaps a picture may help.
It is kind of hard to get a clear picture of it as it is partially hidden, but I'll try if nobody can readily identify it. Someone should know by the location and description hopefully.

·
Registered
306 Posts
You said left side. There is a connector for the Moditec that fits your description, but its on the right side.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,167 Posts
That is what it is. A large silver box with wires coming out of it (some small and some large and yes, more than show in the fiche). The starter signal goes through it so don't remove it. It drives the starter motor when you are in reverse and it receives signals from a speed sensor and the transmission gear indicator and the side stand as well. There may be other signals that just "pass through" as well. Don't you just love an integrated system?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
drifter36 said:
You said left side. There is a connector for the Moditec that fits your description, but its on the right side.
What is a Moditec?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jzeiler said:
That is what it is. A large silver box with wires coming out of it (some small and some large and yes, more than show in the fiche). The starter signal goes through it so don't remove it. It drives the starter motor when you are in reverse and it receives signals from a speed sensor and the transmission gear indicator and the side stand as well. There may be other signals that just "pass through" as well. Don't you just love an integrated system?
It seems to make it more complicated than it needs to be. I hope I don't have one go bad, because a replacement is listed at about $1350!

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,167 Posts
They have been very reliable so I would not worry about it. The Moditec is the data computer the dealer hooks up to read the fault codes in the ECU and ABS units. There is an aftermarket unit now called a GS-911 and many members here have them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts